health for you when incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HobbyChickener, May 6, 2008.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    i have a good friend that hatches a lot of eggs. He has has pnuemonia 3 times in the last year. They are blaming in on the bators. It sort of makes sense. Stop and think about all the bacteria that are involved with a chicken egg and the temps that you cook it. It is heaven for bacteria in a bator. You stand right over it and open the door and woosh all that comes to your face and into your lungs. Maybe they should have a posting that says "Warning You should wear a respirator when operating this machine" Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing? They also went on to tell how bad of an idea it was to have them in your home especially if you have any sort of breatheing problems already, like asthma. What are your thoughts?

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Well thats one I have never heard before.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Me neither and I have hatched out hundreds of chick in incubators...plus I have a very weak immune system sooooo.....I've never had a problem health wise and hatching... [​IMG]

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    YEah that is very strange. You would think I would be laying in the hospital from all sorts of ailements. I raise guinea pigs, Cockatiels, Chickens and have never even had one ailment that could be related to any of them. Maybe they are looking for an answer to something they cant explain.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Looks like if you keep your incubator clean enough to hatch eggs without a problem it shouldn't be a problem for you either.

6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    That doesn't sound like a viable excuse to me either. It seems that some people on here have their incubators (and multiple ones at that) going almost all the time and do not have this problem. I agree that it sounds like they are looking for a smoking gun that they can't find. If an incubator was actually a den of filth and disease strong enough to make a person sick it most likely would not hatch any chicks.

Richard

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I suppose bacteria in a 'bator could be bad for someone with a very weak immune system, but I doubt it makes thing any worse than, say, living in the real world for the majority of us!

I wonder if what they really are talking about are the chicks hatching and after hatch. They are very "dusty". You've all seen that very fine chick down coating everything after a hatch, right? That stuff isn't good to breathe. If you hatched a lot of chicks, and kept them in the house for any length of time, I would assume that that would not be healthy--especially if you already had asthma, etc.

A lot of chick manure built up in brooders in the house wouldn't be so good for you, either, but obviously that can be mitigated by keeping things clean-which I'm assuming most of us hatch-addicted folks do. Shoot, I have dreams about cleaning brooders, I do it sooooo darn much!! [​IMG]

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually if a certain bacteria is present in this persons home, bator and what not, it could be possible, but from the eggs that are in the hatching, no. Is this person not changing his water enough, is it stagnating over a period of time?
    My dad had Legionairs disease (spelling) and the only place they could imagine it came from was using the same glass beside his bed for a long period of time without washing it. No one else came down with it, nor was he able to go out of the house at that point in time as his immune system was low.
    Sounds like your pal needs a pneumonia shot (to help prevent it) and also some inhalers to clear out his lungs, does he have chronic bronchitis too?
    Hope your pal learns what is making 'em ill, its not easy being sick.

9. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    they went through the whole shot thing when he got it the first time, obviously didn't work since he got it 2 more times. However my understanding is that there are more than one ?strand? of pnuemonia, like the flu. The shot wasn't the right one for what he had. With the comments from above I can't help but wonder if it isn't from the coops instead of the bator? It sounds as thought the down from chicks might be more of a problem and with 300+ birds fo all type from silkies to peacocks he might want to look in that direction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by