Health Hazard warning on bag of grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KelBelle, Nov 1, 2010.

1. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    I went to pick up a bag of grit today and was rather concerned about the Health Hazards warning on it. I decided not to buy this particular bag. It said it contains aluminum oxide. Now why would I want to give my chickens something to injest that we know is harmful to humans? How many manufacturers of grit are there?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Isn't aluminum oxide the colorant they use for it? I know some grit bags have coloring in them to make them appear "tasty" or some weird reason. . . I think the only warning they're trying to say is that you should not breath it in when pouring it, as it comes up in a dust cloud.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    A good many rocks have varying degrees of aluminum oxide in their make up. Granite being one of them. Why they have to put a warning label on the bag I don't know, but many rocks that make good poultry grit are likely to have a fair amount of aluminum oxide in them because it is a very hard mineral.

The red coating found on some grit is usually a mineral and/or vitamin supplement.

Edited to add: I suspect the warning label is because of the inhalation hazard from the rock dust the grit contains.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Why they have to put a warning label on the bag I don't know

One word: LAWYERS

It won't hurt the chickens though.

If they free range they probably don't need any grit at all​

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yeah they don't want to be sued. Breathing rock dust is serious business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by