1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Health Issues in my coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prncs13, Apr 12, 2009.

1. prncs13

prncs13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    Hi,

I've got one hen who just started doing this yawning thing, another hen who for the last month has been doing this penguin like maneuver with her head and neck and one hen who's just mostly downy feathers. I know that some of the other hens pulled out her feathers but when will they grow back?

Coop is clean, organic feed, grit, oyster shell and absolutely spoiled and loved.

Help!
    Michelle

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    You can seperate the hen thats feathers are getting pulled out and give them time to grow back.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would lay of any treats that you are giving them. What type of organic feed? I hope not a vegertain type. Chickens are omnivorses and need animal protien. Be it from bugs or meat.
    Is there any other symptoms? Sneezing, rattlely chests?
    What kind of bedding? Pine or straw is the best. NO CEDER.

4. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    I don't know what is in the organic feed but they are in the yard all day eating bugs and stuff. No sneezing or any other kind of weird symptoms. The two hens have big gullets but have had those for years. The one with the feathers we had separated for growth and her tail feathers came back but the rest of the body is just downy. She isn't being picked on at all. When they were pulling her tail feathers we used Blu-Kote which kept everyone away. The first 2 hens are (Velvet and Nana) 4-7 years old. The feather hen (Rita) is probably 3-4.
    Michelle

5. prncs13

Nov 22, 2008
    We use alfalfa for bedding and some first cutting.
    Michelle

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I could be that they are just old and getting tired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by