Health Issues with 4 week old Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ransomma, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ransomma

ransomma New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    This started about a week ago:

Symptoms:
    1). Matted eyes
    2). Lethargy (not eating/drinking)
    3). Breathing with mouth open
    4). Coughing/sneezing

These symptoms started showing up with my ameraucanas and eventually spread to my entire flock. I called the breeder whom I purchased my birds from and she recommended tetracycline for 7 days. It has been 7 days, the majority of my birds have recovered, but some still have at least one eye shut/matted. I have been extremely diligent on making sure they are drinking (even "encouraging" them to drink every hour or so). I have even been putting tiny amounts of neo over their eyes to keep them from drying out/bleeding (as some of them have from scratching). I clean their bedding every other day, give them brand new, treated water twice a day, and have a white heat lamp is about 18" above the cage (constantly at a controlled 90-100 degrees). I am curious that if I stop treating them with antibiotics and they aren't 100%, if this illness will come back?

Secondly, I have a rhode island red that has been coughing/sneezing. She is very immobile (pretty much just stands in one place) won't eat/drink (again, I have been "encouraging" her to drink), and hangs her wings. She NEVER had the symptoms that the other birds have but now that they have recovered, she has regressed. I am worried that if I stop treating all of my birds, they will still be susceptible to getting sick..

I have put a lot of time and energy in to caring for and nurturing my birds..I'm attached..and would hate for anything more to happen to them.

Can anyone give me insight to what I should do? I'd greatly appreciate any help..

Thanks!
    Meg

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds as though the new chicks may have been carriers for a respiratory disease such as MG or others. Most respiratory diseases can become chronic and come back whenever chickens are stressed, such as during cold weather or molting. Symptoms may be helped with tetracycline, erythromycin, or tylosin ( Tylan,)but nothing will eemve the disease from your flock short of culling every bird that could be a carrier. Unfortunately this sort of thing can always happen when obtaining birds from someone other than a hatchery. When getting new birds they should be quarantined for at least 30 days or more. Your state vet could perform a necropsy on your sickest bird, and then you would know what disease you are dealing with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by