health issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roec, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Roec

Roec New Egg

May 29, 2014
    Hi, I have 27 layin hens. My husband takes care of them , They are healthy and we get 26 to 27 eggs a day. My husband has just become ill. Throwing up and diarrhea . I took him to er and they did blood test and took a stool sample. It seems that they said he had CAMPYLOBACTER JEJUNI. I was told he got this from the chicken poop. I was wondering why or how???? He keeps the coop very clean. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Roe

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  3. Roec

Roec New Egg

May 29, 2014
    I understand what your saying sunflower. I know about cross contamination and work at a restaurant. I also cook all my meats to 165 degrees. I cook every night and we both eat the same food. I didn't get sick. I just can't figure out how or why my husband did. We do make it a point to wash our hands often. I learned that from work. lol..

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Not meaning the restaurant you work at, but eating out is one of the most common sources of infection of all kinds.

Personally, I got the Nor virus last spring at a library old books sale…as did many of the volunteers that day.

Lots of folks don't wash their hands after restroom activity, handle door handles, grocery items they don't buy….on and on and on.

Bet if we take a poll most chicken owners never get sick from their own chickens.

Most people I have known to get Campylobacter infections were never around chickens.

But when 1 family member gets an GI infection and no one else in house does….it is a great compliment on your families hygiene habits. So stop worrying.

5. Roec

Roec New Egg

May 29, 2014
    Ok Sunflower. I do feel better now. Thank you. :)

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    you are quite welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by