Health problems serama chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paosb, Dec 23, 2012.

1. paosb

paosb New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Madison Ohio
    HELP
    We got serama chicks 6 months ago and we have been having health problems. They started out fine just like any normal chicken (we have had checkens for 20 years but just got the serama's 6 months ago) then one by one theystarted holding one leg up close to there boby and hooping around on the other leg. The bad leg is wilting, the rooters and now the hens, is there a genic issue with serama's, could it be a vitamin problem.

Paul

2. They have splayed legs. I just put tape ( not super tight ) around the leg and make it straight. Keep it like that for about three weeks! Good luck! I wish your chickies luck too! I can't believe no one got to you sooner!

3. paosb

paosb New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Madison Ohio
    Thank you very much for your response we will take your advise and tape the bad leg. And will post results, again thank you

4. Welcome :) I actually have a quail and a duck that have little tape casts on their legs at the moment!

5. paosb

paosb New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Madison Ohio
    I want to thank Poultry Couture for the information on sprayed legs. I taped up both roosters, sparky is walking fine now. Hoppy on the other hand may not of been treated early enough and is still hopping on one leg. I'm not sure how to prevent this from happening in the future but we put a rug down in the hen house so the floor is not slippery. But I now know how to identify the problem and treat it, thanks to Poultry Coulture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by