health question

gunnarmcc

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
SSF, CA
Hello all,
one of my 3 day old chicks seems to be struggling, the others seem to move around and want to do things and explore but one of them just likes to lay under the heat lamp on her stomach. i have seen her both eat a little and drink a little this morning but she doesn't really move other then that. I also noticed that her poop seemed to have a little dark red in it? maybe blood in the stool? if so please HELP!!! these are my first chicks so i just want to make sure they are okay

Are they on medicated feed? Sounds like she has the cocci, (coccidiosis) which can kill baby chicks. If they are not on medicated feed, you need to head to your feed store for some "Corid" to treat them. And maybe even switch them over to medicated feed if they aren't on it, after you administer the meds, not during.

Try to keep the brooder as clean as possible, keep all debris out of the water and feed bowls and dry around the water fonts.

Last edited:
they are on medicated feed, should i still go get some Corid? the brooder is clean and i change the water every 3/4 hours during the day when im home

Yes, you can administer a low dose of Corid then, and only use for 5 days. You could try giving that little one it's one space in the same brooder for a while, hand feed it to make sure it is eating well enough as the less they eat, the smaller or weaker they can be. And if she does have the cocci, extra rest, food and water will help her heal faster.

Take a good look at the poo, as being on medicated feed, she shouldn't be getting cocci, but it is possible. I don't think a low dose of Corid will hurt, but keep an eye on her. Good luck with your baby...
smile.png

Cocci come from soil, it is a protozoa, so if they have been in an indoor brooder all their lives it is not likely. There are a lot of reasons some chicks don't do well or even die. If everyone else seems fine, if you're sure they're not too hot or cold, there is likely nothing you can do. If you want to treat for cocci, I like Corid better as it's easier on them -- it won't hurt anything but your wallet. There is a great link in the sticky at the top of this (Raising Baby Chicks) forum on many of the causes of death in young chicks.

Cocci lives in the intestinal tract of all birds. They can normally develope an immunity to it over time, but sometimes with many chicks in the brooder, their systems become over loaded with the protazoa. And yes it is in the soil also, hence you want immunity to develop at some point.

Keep an eye on that little one and give it special attention.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom