Health Questions..?

dgeter

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
I have a silkie chick thats one month old and theres a few things I'm concerned about. I've raised birds all my life but this is my first chicken.

1st, I think she may be having trouble pooping. Everynow and then she'll act funny and make funny noises till she poops and then shes calm. I've also found 2 poops that have a little pink in them. I dont know if its blood or not. Shes on regular chicken feed and I've given her egg as well. I want to get her some yougurt to see if that helps but I have no idea what kind to get? Any sugestions?

2nd, every now and then she'll preen herself and make pained noises. It could be feathers coming in because my birds do that sometimes when molting. Shes never been outside so I'm hoping its nothing bug related. I also keep her area very clean.

Other than that, she's a happy little tike who follows me around the house and is with me always :) Couldn't ask for a better friend
love.gif

DSCN1535.jpg

Last edited:
I can't answer most of your questions, but maybe my responding will bump you up so someone who does know will help out.

I can tell you that yes, chicken poo DOES stink. Especially if their feed has animal protein in it. Sometimes it smells worse than others. Sometimes it hardly smells. They make several types of poo that is considered normal.

Let me see if I can find a website I was looking at the other day with pics of normal and abnormal chicken poos. It was gross, but informative...

K, found it. Here ya go:
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17568

I forgot you asked about yogurt. Plain, unflavored yogurt with active cultures is what you want. I've made my own for my birds, because it's cheaper. I had one that required surgery to fix an impacted crop, and she consumed a lot of yogurt while she was recuperating. I am 35 miles from the nearest supermarket, so I don't just get to run to the store every time I want something, and I am learning to do a lot of things I never thought about.

I don't know if you've made yogurt before, but it is REALLY simple. This is the website I got my instructions from:

http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/yogurt.htm

I use the heating pad method, and the yogurt is quite good. I've made it for my family and added sugar and vanilla when I was warming the milk. I stir in a little fresh or frozen fruit, or top with granola, and it's a good snack.

And your baby is darling! I'm trying to control the silkie urge. It's so hard!!! I'm glad you have her. I bet she'll be fine, sounds like you're taking good care of her.

Thank you! She's a sweetie. At least I think Peanut is a she. Too early to know. Thanks for the website! I'm excited to try making it!

Back
Top Bottom