Healthier foodstuffs for my drakes?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by TamingMaster, Mar 31, 2015.

1. TamingMaster

TamingMaster Overrun With Chickens

Hello there,
    I own two beautiful Mandarin Drakes, Mr.PewwPeww and Mr.ColourfulRainbowPants.

[​IMG]

Usually, I feed them a diet of layers pellets mixed with dried mealworm. However, they've started to gain a lot of weight. So I've been wondering, is there's any healthier foods, like fruit, vegetables, seed, etc., that I can add to their food?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. TamingMaster

Any help is appreciated. :)

3. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Not familiar to this breed, but I feed mine table scraps (Like veggies and veggies) and scratch every now and then. Mine eat layer pellets as well. Maybe cut the mealworms for a bit. Do they get to free range or are they in a run?

4. TamingMaster

I try them with different vegetables, maybe they'll like a few. Then, if they decide they like veggies, I can give it to them regularly.
    They definitely don't free-range (because they're a really flighty breed :p ), I keep them in a fairly large aviary.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Dont know if thats an old photo but if that is recent they look just fine.If anythng just dont feed them mealworms for a while.Its breeding season here right now here in the states so I like em a little fatter with protien right now.

6. TamingMaster

Oh, no. That picture was taken over a year ago. Ah, okay. :) Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by