Healthier, stronger breeds that live long?

Keaokun

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Los Angeles
Hello,
I am in my 6th year of raising chickens and am finding that I am loosing chickens quicker than expected. My chickens are pets and so it's very hard for my family when they die. I read that chickens will live 8-10 years on average. I am looking for new chicks this spring and want to invest in healthier, stronger breeds. Any suggestions? LF vs Bantam?

My concern is that some farmers are focused on pure breeding and thus create weaker lines. Does this mean that stronger healthier birds come from specific farmers that are more conscientious?

Some info FYI
Feed - Scratch n Peck, Fresh greens daily.
I have an enclosed back yard where they are protected from predators.
3 Buff orpingtons - 1 died, 1 had major surgery but survived, 1 healthy
3 Silver Laced Wyandottes - 2 died, 1 living
3 lavender Orpingtons - 1 died, 2 living

You have heavier breeds prone to problems with fat.

Is your feed Scratch n Peck the brand of layer feed, or is it a product name? Scratch does not have the proper nutrition in it, and it will cause your birds to suffer health problems if it makes up most of their diet. That may be contributing.

And some birds just don't make it to old age. My Old English Game Bantams and my Australorps both are pretty healthy late in their lives, but I can't keep a production red past five years to save my life.

Game breeds, such as Old English, are prized for their longevity and hardiness. :) I've heard of 11-year-old game hens continuing to hatch out chicks. Little else will outlast them. After hundreds of years, they're the definition of a tried-and-true type.

~Alex
Are Game breeds family friendly?

Are Game breeds family friendly?
Yes, as far as I know. :) Aggression towards humans has been selectively bred out of them over the years. Only detrimental detail to consider is that standard roosters will fight each other to the death, unless separated.

If you want the benefits of games without having to worry about cockerels murdering one other, may I suggest Old English Game bantams? Their docile nature extends even to members of the opposite gender.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom