healthy acting but whitish-pink comb with black spot

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
Not sure what "normal' is as this is my first small flock.

One of my hens has always had a whitish looking comb... I've recently tried to see if any dry skin flakes off or lifts off with my finger nail (gently) and no it doesn't. Now today the same spot has a black crescent scab in the recess of the comb. She may be the more infrequent layer of the two (about every 3rd day I get 2 eggs instead of 1... I have only 2 hens) and wondering it could be candida (fungal). EDIT... scratch that.... is it Favus??????????

Since her comb developed that color from a chick, it didn't seem that odd and only thought of it recently as potential health issue. Other 'comb' issues I've read about on the board don't seem to apply. No blisters or sores.. and she acts perfectly healthy and happy! All 3 do!

Holding Mayelline today I noticed her catching and eating at least 7 mosquitoes in a 30 minute span as we were waiting for sis Matilda to lay her egg. Can't stop her... but can she get disease from EATING mosquitoes?

this is pics of EE - Maybelline and her comb

5617157.jpg

7334233.jpg

8176100.jpg

After further inspection I noticed a small black dot in the comb of Matilda today too..
101704.jpg

And here is Mister Roo's bright red comb just to compare
9945294.jpg

Last edited:
Please post a pic of the comb... this way we can see if it is fungal (which would be flavus and not candida as candida is internal and will not present on the surface of the comb) or if the comb is pale and anemic.

still doing research on Favus... while this isn't dire... I still would like to be preemptive.

Diana, I found a you had a post on favus doing a search... you wrote:
Oxine and VirkonS misted in the coop or applied (diluted ) on the combs with such whitish looking (suspect favus) lesions will clear up any fugal issues if cuahgt early...cant hurt and often clears any issues up. I live in holland where all is damp damp damp and spray regular to avoid any such issues. To treat the dryness any good hand lotion with a high Aloe vera content will treat that.

We do live in humid region too and mosquitoes are problematic.

I'll have to look into ordering those products for preventative.. One book wrote that catching favus in the early stages can be cured with rubbing lard or oil into skin. Or a tinture of nearly as much sulpher as lard is even better for advance. Also says that softening the dry scale first with warm water, oil or glycernin then scraping off w/ spoon handled, remove as much as possible, then paint with iodine.

Still not certain it is Favus or just dry skin. Other advice others I've read is rubbing an anti-fungal (lotrimin as example). It's getting dark and still reading and searching so will make a decision tomorrow.

Maybe this info will help others. Still hoping someone experianced sees the photos and will comment please.

Back
Top Bottom