healthy birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moondog425, Aug 15, 2010.

1. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I have had chickens for three months or so with no problems. But after reading some of the posts on byc about health issues i am just wandering if i need to be doing preventative dusting and medicating and if so what do i need to be giving them. I check them regularly and have not seen any bugs or such on them. I am new at this and just dont know.

2. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    Quote:no takers ????

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your prevention can be checking them out on a regular basis by visually inspecting them for lice/mites, abnormal poop, sneezing/wheezing, acting lethargic etc....not much to it til you spot something out of the ordinary. Good luck.

4. magic maker

magic maker Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    I am also new to chickens and have a small healthy flock of five hens. I love all the information available here, but it has made me completely paranoid!!! If one looks too fluffy I immediately think "IMPACTED CROP!!" God forbid one should have a spot of mud on its toe, cause then I'm frantically checking for bumblefoot. Don't even get me started on what a "normal poo" is supposed to look like!! [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No need to be paranoid. If they are eating, drinking normally...running around chasing bugs,scratching,pecking etc....acting like a chicken should, everything is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by