Healthy chickens getting sick after leaving the property.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dewey Green, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Dewey Green

Dewey Green New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    This is my first post I've been raising chickens for four years and have a wide range of breeds and over 100 birds. Last week I sold 25 Ameraucana's then I got a call that their eyes are swollen shut and they have trouble breathing. The guy thinks I sold him sick chickens but I gust went over every bird and I can find any sickness with my birds. Any ideas why the chickens I sold got sick after leaving my property?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you are having problems with the birds you have sold. This could be respiratory infection that was likely incubating within these birds before you sold them. Only showing itself after they moved which can also cause stress to the birds. Please do drop by the emergencies section for more help on this. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hope other members there can give you more insight, good luck :frow

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. X2 on Yorkshire coop.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome - sorry that it is not under better circumstances that you are making your first post.

I agree with Yorkshire Coop, that its likely that they were carrying some illness that only expressed itself as a result of the stress of the move. Do you vaccinate your chickens? If so, maybe read up on other possible respiratory illnesses -beyond those you vaccinate for.

All the best

CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of the health complications and hope you can find out what's going on.

Good luck, it's tricky dealing with unhappy customers.

8. Dewey Green

Dewey Green New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    Well thanks for the response everyone and the welcome. My long term project is to turn 5 acres into a largely sustainable food source. One day I will be able to free range our chickens much more than we do now, I am looking into foddering since I lost my job in the offshore oil field buying feed is tough. We have started raising pigs as well as our chickens, Ameruanas, Rhode island , jersey giant and copper marans . I love colors in the egg basket. We make our own hams, sausage of all types and can or freeze veggies as well as making fermented foods such as wine, mead or sauerkraut almost all with in house products.

That's a little about us, but my poor chickens umm we've had lots of rain and the coop area grounds stay kind of wet this time of year in Louisiana. My biggest concern is that the illness if they are sick but not showing signs is that they would be contagious, one I'd hate to have to start over two I give chickens away to people in fact I just helped a local cop rebuild his small flock after he lost a few to an animal. What I would hate is to infect the flock of unsuspecting people. So far this has been the only occurrence of our chickens doing any signs of sickness, the trip was longer and colder perhaps that's all it took. But thanks again everyone I'm happy to be a member now, your site has actually been a resource for me awhile now as a non-member.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome. It may be an idea to get feedback or visit the other people you gave chickens to in order to see how their health is. If they are fine, then you could rest easy in the knowledge that you do not have an infection in your flock. Additionally, vaccinating any new chicks against infectious bronchitis and Newcastle disease (if thats relevant to your area) may a way forward - its worked for me at least.

All the best
    CT

10. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    You might want to have your state vet do some testing on your flock to rule out the nastiest infections. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by