Healthy duck stopped laying egss.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by my2ducks, Jan 8, 2017.

1. my2ducks

my2ducks New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    California
    I have 2 very healthy Welsh Harlequin ducks, same age. They both laid every day. Then one stopped after less than a year of laying. And never resumed. Its been over a year since she stopped. She's not molting (certainly not for over a year), she's healthy (I took her to vet), food was not changed, nothing at all was changed in their life. The other duck still lays every day. I cant find any answers as to why one would just stop. I love her so its fine, its just, weird.
    [​IMG]

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Any chance she's hiding her eggs, especially if she free ranges?

3. my2ducks

my2ducks New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    California
    I sure hope I dont have a years worth of eggs in my ivy!!! LOL! [​IMG]
    I put them away at night into a nesting house for safety and let them range during the day, the other one always has the egg waiting for me when we let them out in the morning. Do you think the other one waits? Oh, and how I guess who is laying and who isnt is because I took them to the vet, vet felt the egg in one and felt no egg at all in the other. I just dont know. But I'll go smoosh around the ivy just to make sure....

4. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Mine have several acres of woods to roam in, so it's pretty easy for them to hide their eggs if they want to. I have a chicken who does this. She will not lay in the coop, she finds very creative places to hide her eggs. I found 13 eggs inside a kayak. Why she decided to tuck herself inside a kayak to hide eggs, I don't know! I've also found eggs hidden under hay that was covered with a tarp, and in the woods at the base of a stump. One of my Runners likes to lay eggs under the ramp that leads from the coop to their yard; it's not very tall, she has to smash herself under there, and she puts shavings over the eggs to hide them. I've probably got lots more eggs laying around that I don't know about!

5. my2ducks

my2ducks New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    California
    Oh my, ok, I'm off work tomorrow, I'll go out back and really search through everything. Fingers crossed! And thanks!

6. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Maybe they're both laying but each duck is laying every other day. Do you get an egg every day or is there any eggless days?

Your ducky is super cute by the way!

7. my2ducks

my2ducks New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    California
    Awe thank u! I love her so it's ok if she's not laying, but still.... If they're taking turns then they're diabolical about it, LOL, cuz we consistently get just 1 a day, never 2, very rarely none. Always on same side of coop. (But I wouldn't put it past them, those sneaky buggers)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by