Healthy eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SummerChick, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    I found this and thought you all might be interested......

Healthy Eggs: What We Knew in 1932
    In the 1930s, animal scientists were trying to determine the best diet for cows, pigs, and chickens that were raised in confinement. It was a time of trial and error.

In a 1993 experiment conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, breeding hens were taken off pasture and fed a wide variety of feed ingredients. When the birds were fed a diet that was exclusively soy or corn or wheat or cottonseed meal, the chickens didn’t lay eggs or the chicks that developed from the eggs had a high rate of mortality and disease.

But when birds were fed these same inadequate diets and put back on pasture, their eggs were perfectly normal. The pasture grasses and the bugs made up for whatever was missing in each of the highly restrictive diets.

“The effect of diet on egg composition.” Journal of Nutrition 6(3) 225-242. 1933.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Should it really surprise us that hens given the ability to forage freely on a wide variety of plant and animal materials will manage to get all they need to lay healthy eggs? The highly restrictive diets in 1933 (not 1993?) were probably not so different from what some commercial arrangements would try to get away with today.

Long live free rangers.

sandie

3. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    And people still wonder why we want to raise our own food!

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I can see why alot of peoples vegetarian chickens don't lay, I think corn is actually an inhibitor to laying because I took my birds off the corn and now the hen is laying 6 eggs a week instead of 5 and its very hot here and shes a BO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by