Healthy enough for fair, but concerning?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by julesisthehen, Aug 8, 2014.

1. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    My OEGB roo is acting normal, and when he came for vet check for the fair, nothing was said to be wrong, but I have recently noticed he has a small, bald, red patch of skin, and it is tough, not tender or swollen, and he is acting perfectly healthy, so I am not sure if he is molting and the bedding is irritating his stomach, or if it is something to be worried about. It is not feverish, hot, or oozing anything odd, and he is acting very normal and active, and my other chickens are beginning to molt, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Thanks in advance!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    How old is your rooster and other chickens? Where is the red patch of skin located? Check him for lice/mites, especially the vent area. Feather picking could be an issue.

3. julesisthehen

Aug 5, 2014
    He is caged by himself at the fair, and was thoroughly checked for mites and lice by the vet before he came. He is a year and a half old, and it was on his stomach in between his legs

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    He might be rubbing his underside on the roost while sleeping at night.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They can get breast blisters from staying on a roost or lying on their breast bone for much of the time. Chickens with leg weakness will exhibit this, but your little fellow may just be spending a lot of time lying on his abdomen because he is caged in a strange place. I would check him again for mites that he could be getting from the building at the fair.

6. julesisthehen

Aug 5, 2014
    I have checked him several times for mites, and I did notice him lying down a lot because he didn't like people poking his cage. The blisters sound like that is his problem, but he is home now, and so I am hoping the feathers will grow back. Thank you for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by