mpoland33

Songster
Mar 16, 2016
FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND
Hello everyone. I live in Frederick County, MD and am looking for some advice. My wife wants organic chickens but knows price wise we likely wont be able to afford that. So our best option is to get as close as possible. We will be getting started pullets

I found this Non-GMO feed at a farm within range for us and wanted to get opinions

1- does the descriptions sound good?
2- is this combined with a scratch all I would need? (new to chickens so advice on that too haha)
3- Non GMO vs Soy free Non GMO?

-Layer Mash 15% protein

Optimize egg production with a complete source of minerals, probiotics, and extra calcium for your laying hens. Coarse ground mash feed with corn, wheat, and roasted soybeans.

-Soy Free Layer Mash 15% protein

The same formula as our standard Layer Mash, but the roasted soybeans are replaced with GMO free sunflower meal. Coarse ground mash feed with corn, wheat, and sunflower meal.

-Chicken Grower 19% protein

More protein complete with minerals and probiotics to maximize the growth of broilers. Coarse ground mash feed with corn, wheat, and roasted soybeans.

-Soy Free Chicken Grower 19% protein

The same formula as our standard Chicken Grower, but the roasted soybeans are replaced with GMO free sunflower meal. Coarse ground mash feed with corn, wheat, and sunflower meal. Call ahead to order.

-Chick Starter 22% protein

High protein, minerals, and probiotics to promote layer and broiler chick growth. Medium ground mash feed with corn, wheat, and roasted soybeans.

-Soy Free Chick Starter 22% protein

The same formula as our standard chick Starter, but the roasted soybeans are replaced with GMO free sunflower meal. Medium ground mash feed with corn, wheat, and sunflower meal. Call ahead to order.

Generally speaking, I do hope that your descriptions of the ingredients left out all the vitamins and minerals that should be there to make up complete feeds.
Local feed mills generally only sell mash because the equipment needed to produce pellets, and then crumble, is expensive. I've never liked mash feeds because of the waste when fed.
Their layer feeds are too low in protein, IMO, and will only be worse if you also feed scratch.
The grower feed might be okay with oyster shell in a separate container for the laying hens, if it's actually a balanced diet otherwise.
Always make sure that the mill date on each bag of feed is within about four weeks, and that you can use it up within another couple of weeks. It looses quality fast!
Mary

The only reason I can see to choose one ingredient and avoid another is if you, or someone in your family, is allergic to that ingredient. Everything gets dusty out there, and being exposed to an allergin in the dust wouldn't be helpful. In fact, all that dust is bad to inhale! Have N95 dust masks available, and wear them, when cleaning the coop at least.
Mary

I think the layer feed is too low in protein. I would go with the grower or starter depending on how much protein you want. All the chickens can eat it as long as there is oyster shell on the side for the ones that need it. I ferment my chicken feed so I actually like the mash.

I also hope that those feeds have the amino acids supplemented that aren't available without animal proteins added.
I stick with known national brands, after being unhappy with the feeds milled locally here. Other people have better experiences with their local mills, so it depends.
It's not just total protein %, it's also the right amount of each essential amino acid in the feed.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom