Healthy flock, but one 4 month old sizzle can't seem to handle the cold weather.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hellosammyjoe, Jan 6, 2013.

1. hellosammyjoe

hellosammyjoe New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Hi everybody,
    Bailey my 4 month old sizzle has been less energetic and isn't eating as well and acts like she's cold. So we brought her in the house and started giving her chicken feed softened with warm water and she'll eat it out of your hand, but not in a bowl. All she wants to eat is yogurt and I'm afraid of giving her too much. Her crop is not getting full, well sometimes at night she does ok filling it, but it takes a lot of coaxing. In the morning her crop is empty, and that is when it is the hardest to get her to eat. Except yogurt! She'll always eat yogurt. Is that bad?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If she only wants yogurt, you can try to wean her off of it by mixing a little bit of it with the food in the bowl. When she is hungry in the morning, she'll eat the food in front of her. (Remember to remove wet food after a couple hours because it can start to mold. Keeping optional dry food near is good.)

3. hellosammyjoe

hellosammyjoe New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks! I've been limiting the amount of yogurt I let her have. Is that right? Or should I mix a little feed in and let her eat as much as she wants? Its like having a little kid who won't eat, then holds out for ice cream!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by