Healthy hen died suddenly; what could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jane, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jane

jane Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    My dear 2 year old bantam pekin, Mia was found dead in the coop this morning. Yesterday she seemed completely healthy and laid an egg. The other three hens seem OK...They are not in contact with any other poultry. I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I am sorry about Mia [​IMG]
    There are so many possibilities that you may never know without a necropsy.
    My sweet hen Annie suddenly died in July, before she had turned 2. She had been the picture of vibrant health and total joy, which makes it all the sadder. I am certain it was a heart attack.
    I'm really sorry...
    JJ

3. I am sorry to hear this. It is especially hard when you do not know why and you ask yourself question after question. Unfortunately, you may never know. Some chickens are not for this world because of genetics, an unknown problem, suffocation etc. . It is part of raising and keeping chickens. Seems like though, the more favorite ones go like this. Part of keeping any kind of an animal, especially in a good number is death.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Same situation and circumstances happened to me. It just happens. Doesn't make it any less sad...

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We have had that happen in the past. the ones that are directly under the roost I always figured it as a heart attack.

Sorry about your loss.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I just lost my favorite EE hen yesterday. She just faded away....

I have ideas, but we'll never know for sure. Sometimes caring about things sucks....

I am very sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    With something so sudden in an adult, my gut tells me poisoning. Maybe she ate a weed or mushroom she shouldn't have.

8. hankshens

hankshens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2008
    TN
    I lost 2 hens that were healthy or so I thought. They had good weight, color, feathers. You couldnt tell anything was wrong with them. They are free range birds and I worm them 2 times a year with wazine, but I believe they died from worms. I decided to do an ivermectrin worming on all mine and there were worms in their poop. I havent lost one since. The two that I lost were up and running around earlier that day and I found them dead at night. Neaither had any marks of attack or anything else. I lost them in the same week. I just used Ivermectrin horse wormer. Open there beaks and squirt a little bit in. Good luck

9. I am now in the position to worm my flock. I have all the guinea fowl and chickens that I want. I need to sell about 10 this weekend. They are cinamen queens and I have too many. I had to buy to lot to get them and I am keeping the fat ones. I plan on using wazine initially and then need to learn what else I can use in a later cleansing. I plan on using yogurt after the initial worming and get them all back to normal before the next one. I have read that one can us ivermectin. I find this sorta disconcerning as i have seen people kill thier foals and even sheep and goats with the stuff. Is there any thing else out there than I would feel more comfortable with ?

10. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Have you also considered cocci? In my huge battle with my sick flock, the chicken that got a necropsy had cocci and I swear I saw no bloody poop as a sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by