Healthy hen wont stand

Bit by Bit

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2018
I have an Andalusian cross who I think broke something up in her hip or dislocated her right leg. Both of her feet have full use but she has trouble keeping her right leg under her and protests when I put it under her. Her left leg works just fine. I don't think it's Marek's disease she also won't sit up, she lays to one side preferably her injured side. What should I do? I have been giving her meloxicam once a day and attempted to wrap it up against her body but she pulls it out of the sling. She moves around a little bit during the day but never stands up or attempts to. She also doesn't correct herself if you stand her up and slowly let her go she only falls on her face or to her side.

Last edited:
I would also ask how old she is? Has she started laying eggs yet?
If she is an adolescent pullet then the chances are high it is Marek's. If she is an older bird, it could be a reproductive issue where a mass in her abdomen is putting pressure on her sciatic nerve.
Of course, it could be a physical injury too although in my experience breaks and even sprains are less common in chickens than Marek's.

I would also ask how old she is? Has she started laying eggs yet?
If she is an adolescent pullet then the chances are high it is Marek's. If she is an older bird, it could be a reproductive issue where a mass in her abdomen is putting pressure on her sciatic nerve.
Of course, it could be a physical injury too although in my experience breaks and even sprains are less common in chickens than Marek's.
She is a young pullet a few weeks from laying and it looks like she is not lost movement in her right leg including her toes. I'm not seeing any change in her skin as far as bumps one of her eye's is closed but I'm pretty sure that's from an injury from another hen she eats just fine but refuses water so we've been putting water in her food. She doesn't want to stand at all and only use it one of her wings to balance. I've heard Marek's is highly contagious is there a way to protect the rest of my flock?

Some have reported that keeping one eye closed may be a possible sign of Mareks, especially if other symptoms are present. @rebrascora knows much more about Mareks than I do. Here is a good link to read about Mareks, and you may want to contact your state poultry vet in the second link about getting a necropsy to look for Mareks if she dies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
We've decided to put her down. I don't want her to suffer. I have 22 other that were purchased from a friend that has home grown. 100 others are vaccinated so they should be fine. All my girls are free range so maybe they will live longer...

A necropsy with Mareks testing would be beneficial to know if your other birds could be carriers. Vaccinated birds exposed to Mareks will still carry the virus, and can pass it on to other birds at any time. Mareks also can remain in the environment for years. Sorry about your loss. Here is a good link to find your state vet if you want to get necropsy or testing:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom