Healthy Looking Chick - dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcf3kids, May 15, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    One of our 24 5-day old chicks was found in the brooder dead yesterday afternoon. It was where it usually sleeps and appears normal - no poop on its butt and was active from the start. Is this something that just happens? Like a SIDS type thing every once in a while? We let each of the kids pick out a chick when we were ordering them and this is one of 3 that the kids were calling theirs. She was a buff polish with a cute little top hat that made her stick out from all the other chicks. [​IMG]

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I am soooo sorry... I think it is something that just happens sometimes.
    We lost one of our little golden laced polish chicks (my daughters favorite) on day 4.... it was sad beccause it was also Mother's Day.

Good luck with all the rest and to make you feel better... we haven't lost anymore [​IMG]

3. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Well the up side is the kids got a quick lesson on life - I had prepared them that a couple of the chicks might not live to adulthood - was hoping that they all would though. Thanks.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry you lost your chick. It does happen. There's a sticky at the beginning of this forum that discusses some of the possible reasons, if you're interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by