healthy looking rooster but has a tumour like bump on padding of foot what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrViskers, Feb 19, 2012.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    i believed i may have been ripped off by a farmer the rooster has a bump on his feet, walks normal but the bump on his foot makes him walk off balance and he also has very loose skin on his breast muscles. what kind of condition is this and at the moment he is roaming with my other flock of chickens could this sickness be passed on to them?

2. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    just done my own searching appears to be bumblefoot but could bumblefoot spread onto other poultry?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Bumblefoot is ordinarily caused by an injury to the sole of the foot which has developed an infection. Instead of pus, they develop a "core" of cheesy stuff inside that is the infection. I don't know about the loose skin. Weight loss, perhaps? Does he seem light or thin (sharp breast bone) for his size? Maybe he was being kept away from the food by other roosters, at least some of the time.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like bumblefoot - can you post a picture? It's not contagious like parasites or other infections. However, it IS staph and when you handle your bird to do the doctoring you should wear latex gloves. The staph is in the dirt and you can't get rid of it. Best thing is to do whatever you can to prevent it - like lowering roosts, sanding them with fine sandpaper, removing anything sharp that they may be cutting their feet on...etc.

Do a search for bumblefoot on this forum and check out the pictures and compare. Look for the telling "black spot" SOMEWHERE on the foot and in the middle of the swelling. Here is some excellent instruction on treatment if you decide that's it.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by