Healthy Non-Toxic Plants for Ducks Garden

TinaandJohnny

Chirping
Aug 23, 2022
Hello! I am curious to know from the duck lovers on here what kind of plants I should plant for my ducks. I’ve got all the ideas for veggies and herbs already. Im thinking other things for them to hide in and play in. Bushes or shrubs that are friendly and safe for them. I built them a garden, started planting clover, grass, wheat grass, on the ground, they’ll be getting all the other veggies and such when spring comes. I just need more things to plant that will stay year round. It’s a large area for my two male Runner Ducks. Any suggestion? Pictures of your gardens? Anything helps!
Thanks!

I don't have ducks, only chickens, but am also working on planting more non-toxic plants. Where are you located. If in the US, do you know your planting zone? That can make a huge difference in what people recommend :)

The trouble is, it is sometimes only the toxic, distasteful or coarse plants that survive the ducks attack. Our duck garden is being taken over by several species of Cyperus including umbrella sedge, giant pyparus and two smaller sedges. They all make tiny seed that ducks would have a hard time finding. They eat a little foliage of some of the small tricorner sedges, but do not denude it. All sedge are somewhat coarse and can handle the foot traffic, expecially umbrella sedge.

Last edited:
I don't have ducks, only chickens, but am also working on planting more non-toxic plants. Where are you located. If in the US, do you know your planting zone? That can make a huge difference in what people recommend :)
We are in zone 8 in the US. We get all the seasons, nothing too extreme. Thanks for mentioning that!

My ducks #1: Lilac. They hide in it, hide nests in it, huddle under for winter wind protection or summer shade. Love the seedpods as winter treats and test but don't eat the leaves and bark. My bushes are huge and old, but the ducks leave the suckers alone. Speaking of suckers, you can plant those so you might be able to get free shrubs.

Bonus, you get pretty sweet smelling spring flowers. Not sure if 8 is too warm :(

My ducks #1: Lilac. They hide in it, hide nests in it, huddle under for winter wind protection or summer shade. Love the seedpods as winter treats and test but don't eat the leaves and bark. My bushes are huge and old, but the ducks leave the suckers alone. Speaking of suckers, you can plant those so you might be able to get free shrubs.

Bonus, you get pretty sweet smelling spring flowers. Not sure if 8 is too warm :(
Oh I love lilac! My mom has lilac on her property, a big beautiful purple flowered one. That’s a good idea. And ya, good for shade! I’ll look for some of that. I think it will survive with a little extra water in the summer. Thanks!

The trouble is, it is sometimes only the toxic, distasteful or coarse plants that survive the ducks attack. Our duck garden is being taken over by several species of Cyperus including umbrella sedge, giant pyparus and two smaller sedges. They all make tiny seed that ducks would have a hard time finding. They eat a little foliage of some of the small tricorner sedges, but do not denude it. All sedge are somewhat coarse and can handle the foot traffic, expecially umbrella sedge.
Any ideas help! I’ll look into those as well. I’ve heard mint, and thyme and other herbs are safe and the ducks seem to stay away from it for the most part? I’d like the garden big and lush for them!

Any ideas help! I’ll look into those as well. I’ve heard mint, and thyme and other herbs are safe and the ducks seem to stay away from it for the most part? I’d like the garden big and lush for them
Which reminds me, tri-color sage is lovely for foliage and has nice purple flowers. The ducks and geese left it alone. They also didn't touch the mint and oregano, but those aren't as pretty imo. Low growing thyme used between garden papers got pulled up and dug out by the geese. It might be ok with just ducks... no one ate the poor things. I also lavender no one seems to have eaten. My spring bulbs all made it last year (snowdrops, crocus, tulip, daffodil), but it was a wet spring with lots of greens coming up.

Which reminds me, tri-color sage is lovely for foliage and has nice purple flowers. The ducks and geese left it alone. They also didn't touch the mint and oregano, but those aren't as pretty imo. Low growing thyme used between garden papers got pulled up and dug out by the geese. It might be ok with just ducks... no one ate the poor things. I also lavender no one seems to have eaten. My spring bulbs all made it last year (snowdrops, crocus, tulip, daffodil), but it was a wet spring with lots of greens coming up.
Yeah I was think about putting up small fences in areas where I plant the new growth to get the plants a head start. The boys love sifting through the dirt right now. It was freshly tilled and the soil was all moved around to build the garden. I’ll have to try those. Anything semi hardy and non toxic! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom