Thursday I left for a few hours and retruned to find my largest six and a half month old Black Australorp Roo laying dead in the yard. They free range, so my first thought was "something got him" which was bound to happen eventually. However, I quickly realized a number of my other birds were wondering very nearby as if nothing happened. The remaining three hens were in the coop and one was in the nesting box. An examination of Thor, the roo, showed no signs of damage. No birds appear ill, no marks, signs, breathing or sneezing trouble at all. The bird appeared fine that morning. Now several days have passed, and although there was one day when they layed less than normal, today I got 9 eggs from 10 hens. I am left scratching my head as to what happened. I'm not too shook up as I had 3 roo's and need only one, however, I am puzzled. We did have big thaw shortly before that and my only thought is maybe he ate something that poisoned him. Any thoughts?