Healthy to allow decrease egg production in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DianeB, Sep 4, 2009.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    I want to start off with saying that my chickens are pets and their eggs are just a bonus. Their health and longevity is the most important thing to me.

From what I understand, it is healthier for chickens to slow down or stop laying altogether in the winter. Is this true?

I don't plan on supplementing light and will allow my hens to go through a full molt in the Fall and Spring.

Also, only one out of three of their eggs can be used due to taking anti-biotics. The vet said they can't be used until February or March. If it better that they hold off on laying in the Winter, I would rather just let them molt and stop laying until early next year when I can use all their eggs.

Thank You
    DB

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Not all breeds will stop laying in the winter, but if you're not going to supplement light then they'll do what comes naturally. Just go along with it and they'll be fine.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. I'm a big believer in allowing them to do what comes naturally.

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the PP to let nature take its course.

But I'm curious, why are your chickens taking antibiotics?

[​IMG]

5. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    One had a bruised vent that caused her to get an infection. So, the vet gave her baytril. The other one had a very,very,very slight, if you put your ear to her chest in a quiet room, breathing problem. He thought it was bronchitis and gave her another strong antibiotic. The one with the bruised vent probably needed an antibiotic (not that strong, though). The other one didn't even seem to have a problem. I stopped giving her the med after the first day and she has had no problems.

The vet said to wait 6 months. I am not sure if I need to wait that long. It seems that most recommendations are about 6-8 weeks.

As for letting the do what is natural, you agree that not supplementing light is better? So, having a break from laying eggs is a good thing?

DB

6. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Wait six months??? Yikes. Pretty excessive.

The supplemental light thing gets debated over & over. I would hope that none of us are blasting a bank of 100 watt bulbs for 20 hours a day. I do, however, run a 30 watt bulb from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the winter. My coop has no windows. I live in Michigan. If I didn't give them a teensy lamp, they'd be eating in the dark for 4 months of the year.

7. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Well, I live in CA and the chickens would have at least 9 hours of light a day in winter. I figure that is more than enough time to eat, drink, dust bathe and do all of their chicky stuff.

How long should I wait until I eat their eggs? Does anyone have experience with Baytril?

DB

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I don't have experience with that antibiotic in chickens. You might try using the search feature here on BYC, just type in 'baytril' as your keyword.

9. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    I have already searched about Baytril. The posts mention dosage and use, not recovering period.

DB

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Baytril has a 2 day meat withdrawal in chickens, but the studies for egg withdrawal haven't been done. Meat withdrawal in cattle is 28 days, so a little longer. I would personally give it a month and then not worry about it, the exception being if you're allergic to any antibiotics in that class.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by