Healthy Treats for Peafowl Today?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bdfive, Sep 18, 2012.

1. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Thought I'd try starting a thread of what we are feeding our peafowl today. We can learn from each other what healthy treats they like.

I'm presently cutting up bananas, peaches, cantalope and spliting grapes. Will throw in some walnuts. Hmmm, sounds good...might have some myself. [​IMG]

I get marked down produce that may be brused or a little to ripe and the walnuts I purchase at Costco in a large bag.

Just a few of the other food items I'll be posting is , beans, healthy bread, brown rice with hulls and all kinds of fruit and veggies. Come on....join in. It doesn't have to be time consuming. Just click on link to thread and type the treats you've given today.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I haven't found a single thing they like as much as blueberries.
    When I show up with blueberries, there's always a scuffle!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine enjoy watermelon.

4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I wonder if my guys are the world's pickiest peas?
    Everyone here says their peas LOVE watermelon but when I try it out on our gang, they look at me like I'm crazy.
    "Hmm...interesting...but where are the blueberries???"

5. Faith SL

Faith SL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    California
    Great idea for a thread!

Today I am giving 2 thawed out shrimp to each of my peas, along with cubes of steamed yam seasoned with a little cinnamon and quartered black mission figs picked fresh this morning.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Mine like blueberries. Mine will not eat watermelon cubes or cut up but if I place a slice or half they come running - go figure LOL. Mine will not eat anything RED! tried cranberries and they were still there the next morning. They eat peanuts, whole wheat bread, pasta, grapes and a couple other things but I would not give them walnuts LOL they are almost $20 a bag at costco. I have not tried potatoes or yams yet.

7. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    boiled eggs and peas mushed up together. They come running.

8. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    my ids are color picky i swear.
    they love watermeon. and cantelope
    and eggs . ohhh and grapes. they love those
    but other than that .
    if it isnt green (peas, kale, lettuce, dandelion greens)
    they look at me like im crazy .

straberries they hate, pineapple is a no go . tamatoes are a no go
    they wont eat corn either.
    ohhh but they do love frenchfries =)

9. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    new 2 pfowl........ mine love blueberries too but they are expensive here and I have about 25 pet peafowl

kuntrygirl.......... yep, the watermelon is soon pecked out even into the rind. It's a great treat on hot late afternoons and gives them something to do. Can't imagine any passing watermelon up. New 2 pfowl, let one get ripe and sweet. Cut it in two and scoop a little out with your fingers and let them taste it from you hand. Do they eat from your hand? They prefer the soft middle of the melon that is easy to peck into most.

Faith SL........ shrimp, yams and cinnamon, sounds like you've been coached by Resolution. I don't know about the figs....have never fed them but try to give all the food Kermit suggests. Mine get shrimp too. Do you give them raw? Do you leave shell, tail, head on the shrimp? Mine get shrimp too. I just put some in the freezer I bought on sale. Also purchased spices he recommends. Are you using Ultrakibble?

Yoda......... regarding red colored fruit and veggies. Mine eat some but prefer green. They don't dive in after red tomatoes like they do the yellow pear, cherry size that I quarter or split depending on size. I plant a couple Yellow Pear Tomato plants and they eat them all summer. The plants spread like crazy if untrimmed and produce lots!! YEP!, $20 but the walnuts go a long way when just given a few. Not long ago they weren't nearly that expensive. If giving potatoes, use yams. They are very nutritional and the birds love them. You can leave them a little firm so they're easy to cube but I always forget and they end up somewhat mashed, haha!!! No matter....they are one of my peafowl's favorite. Bananas too!! They love them and they're healthy treats.

Trefoil...... have given them eggs, especially for breakfast on cold mornings. I scramble them. Will get some frozen peas to add to the next feeding. I think I gave them peas once and they consumed them readily but forgot about them. Thanks!

country_girl011........ OH!! mine love their grapes too, especially the sweet red ones but they eat them all. Forget strawberries, mine eat a few but it's not worth the effort so won't even try anymore. Have never tried pineapple and won't now. LOL on the french fries. I love them too but try to stay clear of them. My husband is like a kid when it comes to french fries...he can't get enough, haha!! Regarding corn....my peas like corn on the cob cooked or raw but I have to scrape the corn off.

OK, we have a good start. Don't forget to post daily what you're feeding. I often skip days but they have Gamebird Feed and Ultrakibble Available at all times. I give those in the pens Purina Cat Chow in the blue bag a couple times a week for animal protein. I've tried other pet food even my Mini Aussies expensive Earthborn Holistic kibble but they just plain love the Purina Chow.

10. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Brocolli (purchase in large bag at Costco). I cut it up using my my Vita-Mix food processor. Add water and zap a little, then drain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by