Heard about the Family to Family Victory Garden??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TennesseeTruly, Nov 27, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just got an email about a program called the Family to Family Victory Garden. Has anyone else heard about it? I was just discussing it with my husband and I think we're going to sponsor a family instead of getting each other gifts for Christmas. I'm also going to send the link to my brothers and sisters and if they can't do it individually, maybe they can join together and do it as a whole. My daughter said she's going to talk to her husband about doing it and I'm going to talk to my other 5 children to see if they'll get involved too.

This is the same kind of concept that my husband and I have been kinda doing here on a small scale with our chickens and our neighbors. We hatch out chickens, we keep what we want, then we will give away hens and roosters to a few familys so they have eggs and possibly chickens to eat.

I love this idea!!

http://family-to-family.org/victorygarden.htm

Laurie

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

First time I've heard of it. Sounds like a good idea, just hope the recipient has the elbow grease to put it to good use. DH and I are getting up in years, have the supplies just not the energy. Sad...right?
    It would be nice to see more young families growing their own nutritious food.. I'm actually thinking of going container gardening. So I don't have to stoop over so much and can have it all at my backdoor.
    Nice family gift from you guys....God Bless you and whomever you sponsor. [​IMG]

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I like the sponsor a family part. For 31.00 a month they claim to use 30 of it to give them a weeks worth of meals! I love it! I just wish there were people closer to home to help out.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Laurie, we did something like this a few years ago at the agency I worked for. I wrote for and received a grant to help families who were victims of family violence to improve their nutrition.

The 1st week that they came they each got a bag full of kitchen staples....flour, sugar, salt etc.
    Then each week our Coop Ext Nutrition Experts would teach them how to make a nutritious, simple meal and at the end of the class, they would get all of the ingredients to make that meal at home for thier families.
    At the end, I still had money left and it was late May so each family received a couple of container garden kits.
    We picked them up the containers, the potting soil and veggie starts and herb starts.

They loved it! One Mama told me that she had never planted a thing in her life. She was so nervous about planting. Poor thing. I went over and helped her do her containers and all summer long when I would drive by her house, her little gardens were flourishing.

It was the most awesome thing!!!

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    This seems like an amazing charity..I wish my family and I could help but we probably qualify for it as we are pretty much dirt poor... I just love seeing all of these pay it forwards and folks helping others.. This is what the holiday season is all about...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by