Heard the egg song, but no egg !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingpurple, Jul 18, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Purple Butt has for 3 days now gone into the nesting box, spends about 30 minutes in there. Nothing to show for it. Today I seen her in there, waited and as soon as she left it, she came out, and was making all kinds of racket. Loudly telling me she had laid an egg. I was thrilled. Walked in and no egg. ??? I thought maybe it wasn't a egg persay as maybe this was her first, but no traces of anything?

Can she be practicing? or is there something else going on? They shouldn't have issues before they start to lay should they??

Any help will be aprreciated....

She is almost 18 weeks. On layer crumble, has free oyster shells at her disposal, and eats and drinks well. She is a white leghorn.

2. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Don't know for sure, but can tell you that my entire FLOCK was singing the egg song for a couple of weeks before I saw any eggs. They seemed to cheer each other on!

So, for me it was normal to hear the egg song and then- NO EGG. Not yet, at least!

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yes they do practice LOUDLY. I thought they were just mocking the older hens but maybe you are right, its hen practice for teenagers!!

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Purple Butt sounds close though. The egg song combined with nest box activity is usually a good sign. [​IMG]

5. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Glad she is okay and just getting prepared to lay [​IMG] Now I want to keep checking.....hate having to go to work these days. Would much rather spend my days watching my chickens than deal with the people at work !! LOL

6. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:I totally here you there!! I leave by house at 4 am everyday and always wonder....could this be the day I get my first eggs from my young laides... I have two older 9 months old I got from a friend a couple of weeks ago are already laying. But I stil can't wait for when my younger babies start feeding me....LOL

7. kleewoodall

kleewoodall New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    I have several different breeds (totaling 15) and none of them have produced any eggs for the past week and a half. I live in the Indianapolis area and the weather here has been horribly hot. So I'm curious if anyone else's chicks are laying and if not could heat be a factor?

8. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I live on the west side of Indy just about 15 minutes from downtown. The two of my 7 that are laying have been laying pretty regularly. I have gotten an egg a day from my BO since I got them two weeks ago, and my PR is off and on. I get at least one every other day from her. But have gotten one everyday since Friday recently. They seem to lay early early in the day or in the evenings...I think it is due to the heat that they have been laying so late in the day.

9. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    We had storms roll through and of course Ms Pissy was in a crate outside, and she has also been a regular layer, and she did not lay today. She was left out in this. No one home to accomadate her like i do. It said 101, and 10% chance of rain, when I left for work. We have not has rain in a month so to speak of, so who would have thougt we would actually get some........oh we did .....so I give her a day off for being frightened, and HOT. LOL Back to work tomorrow. LOL

The other NHR laid me an egg, and bigger this time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by