Heard this was the place for crazy chicken people...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kylo_Hen, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kylo_Hen

Kylo_Hen In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    New England
    Good Day Chicken Lovers!

I’m new to the chicken world and even newer to the whole country lifestyle. I have been mother henning 10 awesome little ones. As of today, they are about 23 days old. I initially ordered 15, received 16, and 6 have died within the first two days.

(1)Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

As new as they come! I got my first baby chicks a few weeks ago (March 21, 2018). They were 3 days old upon arrival.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 10 HEALTHY pallets in my flock. As of today, they are re about 23 days old. I initially ordered 15, received 16 (apparently I signed up for the bonus chick), 2 were DOA, and the rest were just really weak :(, so I’m left with 10 energetic fluff bottoms.

(3) What breeds do you have?

DOMINQIUES! I’m infatuated with New England, since I just moved here from sunny Southern California, and I wanted to have a homestead full of heritage breeds, specifically ones that are from here. I also find them them to be beautiful! I also have one random little yellow chick, that I have no idea what breed she is. I’m going to have to ask you guys for help on ID’ing her.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Goodness, there’s no way to avoid BYC.com. Every chicken search on Google usually comes up with answers from this wonderful community. Also, our feed store promotes them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I’ve got tons, but I’m going to say that I’m really focused on learning about living a self-sufficient life right now. Hence, why I got the ultimate gateway drug of livestock animals... chickens! Oh, and I love tech. I’m a nerd at heart, and love gadgets and technology.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m married to a wonderful partner who 100% shares the same lifestyle in living a self-sufficient life. I’m a former Business Analyst for an ] large property management company, turned full time hobby farmer. We’ve got two wonderful Boston Terrorizers. If there’s anything else you’d like to know, ask!

Thank you guys ahead of time for your contributions to this site. It’s made me a lot more confident with starting chickens.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  2. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Welcome @Kylo_Hen ! It's true, we're all crazy! I'm glad you decided to join us! :jumpy:frow
    (I love your username btw!)

3. Kylo_Hen

Kylo_Hen In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    New England
    Thanks! I named one of our chicks Kylo Hen for my nephew and niece who are obsessed with Star Wars. I’m in Massachusetts too! Woohoo

4. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Yay! MA is the best :)

5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Teila, ronott1, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    You heard right! Welcome to the chicken madness! :frow

Congratulations on getting your chicks but sorry to hear you suffered a few losses. Good to have you here :thumbsup

7. Kylo_Hen

Kylo_Hen In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    New England
    Thanks! Our feed store is local. Also, a rep from Nutrena who hosted a chicken chat discussion at the feed store promoted BYC.com.

drumstick diva, Teila and 007Sean like this.
  8. Kylo_Hen

Kylo_Hen In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    New England
    Whoa! @Joeschooks I’m in love with your coop. I may have to pick your brain later about your setup.

drumstick diva, Teila and 007Sean like this.
  9. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    Welcome! I'm a first timer as well. This is a great place! There's a ton of information and very supportive people.

10. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot Beautiful chicks! Sorry for your losses :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: