Hearing aids, or ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BBQJOE, Jan 20, 2016.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    None of my chickens come when called by names. I'm afraid my rooster is so loud it's causing them ear damage or maybe tinnitus or something.
    What would you good people suggest? I'm thinking either hearing aids or ear plugs. I don't know where to get chickin ear plugs, so I'm thinking maybe cigarette butts.

Good lord, what should I do???

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Cigarette butts are kinda nasty to put in their ears.....those things have been in someone's MOUTH, for heaven's sake! If it was me, I'd cut off the ends of soda straws until they don't stick out too far from the ear. That way if you have a chicken who needs to hear better you can leave the straw hollow and open, but if one needs sounds blocked out you can plug the end with cotton or something. Try not to use the little red stripedy ones.....chickens are attracted to red and might pull them out of their flockmates' ears. Plain white or blue and green stripedy ones should be fine. Just my two cents....

3. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I like your thinking, but I'm afraid if I used soda straws the chikins might suck each other's brains out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by