Hearing heartbeat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thumbless, Jan 4, 2010.

1. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Is there a piece of equipment out there that would let you hear a heartbeat inside of the egg shell, I do know that this would be something pricey, just want to know if it is out there as this would take the guess work out of a dead egg.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I guess it might be possible with a doppler. The kind that is used in the medical field. It's actually a good idea [​IMG]

Try ebay...

3. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Cheaper that I thought it would be $100 for one with free shipping I may have to pick one of these up.

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    There is something made that shows the heart rate. Avian Biotech sells one, but they are very pricey. I don't see the price listed on the site anymore, so you probably have to call them to order and I think they were a couple hundred dollars when they had the price online. Here is a link... http://www.avianbiotech.com/buddy.htm

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wonder if an ordinary stethoscope would work thru egg shells. They used to be pretty cheap on pet supply(having medications etc.) on line. Sometimes nursing supply sites carry them. You might even score one from a doctor or nurse, when they replace their older equipment.

I had cheap ones I used for years when I raised dogs but, then started tinkering around using it on myself. My doctor made me give it up because I was "finding" all kinds of scary noises using it. Hey a little hypocondria is good for ya.

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I don't know if it would work, but stethoscopes are easy to come by. Walmart even has them.

7. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Quote:I called them up, $410 shipped, I want one, however if I got one, I think I might die. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  8. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I've tried the stethescope several times and can hear not a thing - just tried it now with one on day 18 before lockdown and not a thing. I thought at first a few weeks ago I could hear something but it was my own pulse from my finger on the back. Wrapped in towels to muffle room noise you can't hear a thing. Yeah the expensive one looks cool but so expensive!

9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:I called them up, $410 shipped, I want one, however if I got one, I think I might die. [​IMG]

Oh, Lord! $410!!! Yeah, I would definitely be in divorce court over that one. No "buddy" for me. LOL

10. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    a normal stethescope would work because i could hear my hermit crabs heart beat when i held it up to the shell!!! [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by