Hearing Peeping How Long Now Till Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JensMaverick, Apr 19, 2016.

1. JensMaverick

JensMaverick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    This is my first time incubating. It is day 20. I put the incubator on lockdown the night of day 18 with increased humidity. I work from home 4 days a week and have to go into the office 1 day, which happens to be today . My husband was supposed to turn our nanny cam onto the incubator but was running late taking my son to school and forgot. Ugh! So I sit here at work, 75 miles away from home intently listening to my nanny cam. I can hear bumps and peeping. It is killing me being here. How long until hatch occurs normally after hearing peeping. I heard peeping once last night at about midnight, but all was quiet this morning at 5am. Will my son who is 10 and I miss the whole show? I was hoping to catch/record it on our DropCam so that if we weren't there he could still see the hatch. I'm dying over here.

Thanks in advance,
    Signed a pathetic chicken mom anxiously awaiting the new babies. ;-)

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Well, usually sometime w/in 24 hours of the internal pip (peeping signifies the internal pip) you will see an external pip. After the external pip it can take another 24 hours to hatch. Sometimes they hatch w/in hours of external pip, sometimes it takes a whole day. I would say if it internally pipped late last night, you probably have a good chance of not missing it. (Of course having said that, it'll be the one egg that hatches quickly...lol) Mine usually average somewhere between 12-18 hours after external pip before they start zipping.

3. JensMaverick

JensMaverick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    My husband just got home. We have one hatched and making lots of peeps. He put the camera near it, but it is hard to see. At least we have another dozen to go...let's hope they wait until after school and work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by