1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hearing peeps from under my sitting mama.....need help leaving her alone!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by neishalee, Apr 2, 2015.

1. neishalee

neishalee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A few weeks ago I noticed my 3 year old Dark Cornish going broody. I am lucky that I have a secondary summer coop for younger chickens before they are ready for the big coop so I moved her out there and put a couple days worth of eggs under her. Once or twice a day I've been going out and walking around with her for a bit to make sure she gets exercise. Yesterday was kind of cold and she wasn't wanting to jump up off the nest like she normally does so I let her be. Today when I checked on her she wasn't wanting to get off the nest and I could hear peeping. It is getting very cold/windy and we are expecting snow. Tonight's low is supposed to be 22 degrees and while the summer coop is very aesthetically pleasing it is very drafty.

I am very worried about hatching and the chicks so I set up an emergency coop in the dinning room in the dogs kennel. She seems very happy with the move and settled right in. I even put a bit of pizza crust, which she usually goes nuts for, near her and she is ignoring it.

Before I let her settle down I candled two eggs that I had marked as questionable when I last candled. They weren't viable so I removed them but it is KILLING me! I want to keep checking under her every five minuets. I haven't but I want to. I want to go peep at the eggs so darn bad!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Please let her be! Keep messing with her and she's either going to hurt you or give up on the hatch bc she doesn't feel safe. She knows what she is doing and she will let you see the chicks when she is ready. Leave her food and water. Go out to dinner and a movie. Check on her tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    No problem leaving her alone. Husband got home and kids needed wrangling from being stuck inside all day so I didn't have time to obsess. I did look in on her when she got up this morning for a drink and a few bites of feed. I can't tell how many are cheeping but at least one of them is very excited when mommy talks to them. She seems very interested in the sounds coming from under her.

I can't imagine this chicken abandoning her nest, she has always been EXTREMELY broody. I was worried she wouldn't do well with the first move but she was back on the nest as soon as I put her down. I wouldn't have moved her this time but the snow this time of year doesn't fall down, it whips by horizontally and lands in the next state. The coop is made of old fencing and has a ton of cracks and gaps in it. She would have ended up in a small drift.

She's my favorite chicken, she follows me around and jumps up to grab food out of my hands when I'm slow giving it to her. When I would let her out of the summer coop she would jump up immediately and look up at me like she was asking which way we were gonna go for a walk. Then after a few minutes I could tell she wanted to go back so we'd walk back and she'd hop right in and settle down. She is an very good brooder. I just wish she was still laying. None of the eggs are hers unfortunately.

4. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    [​IMG]

Looks like all is going well.

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Aww! Cute little chick there [​IMG] She (mom) seems very attentive. Momma is beautiful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by