hearing the chick peeping inside!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stumble_n_mumble, Oct 22, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    so what does this mean? its broken into the air sac? how long should it take for it to hatch now? today is day 21!!

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Yes it's broken the internal air sac. Should be here quite soon. Just make sure you keep the incubator closed so you don't loose humidity. Good luck with your little ones [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    its under a broody hen!!!! [​IMG]!!!!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] For your baby! [​IMG]

5. Nelaka

Nelaka Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    When you say that you can hear internal pipping, can you hear it about 1 meter away from the hen sitting on the eggs or when you put it up to your ear?
    I am on Day 23 and still cannot hear anything so I need some advise.
    Thanks In advance!

6. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i can hear it under the hen. and its really loud when i put it to my ear lol which i know your not supposed to do but oh well [​IMG]

7. Nelaka

Nelaka Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks again!

8. sweetchicks

sweetchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Denham Springs
    I am new to hatching baby chicks. We set 16 eggs under our broody hen (eggs were set 10/1, 10/2, 10/3) 3 have hatched today and still under mother hen. I read that they will be fine with out food for at least 3 days but I have no idea what to do! Should I put a light in their box away from the mother, should I give them feed or water? Someone Please Help:confused:

9. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:If you have them under a broody, YOU don't need to do anything. The hen will take care of her babies. If the other eggs do not hatch in a couple more days, you should probably remove them so that the hen will not keep trying to hatch them. Just make sure there is food and water easily accessable to the hen and her chicks and she should teach them how to eat and drink. DO keep an eye on them to make sure that the hen is doing her job. If she is a good mommy, she will take them to the food/water and show them how to eat and drink herself and she will keep them warm. Happy hatching! [​IMG]

10. sweetchicks

sweetchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Thanks so much for the advice! All seems to be doing well!!!! YAY! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by