heart attack???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Sep 30, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my big brahma roo was fine when i left for work this morning and fine when i came home hamf an hour ago, ive just been out to feed them and he was 'doing' one of his ladies (as they do...) he stepped off her, crowed, then keeled over, flat on the floor. i rushed over but he was already dead...could it have been a heart attack? im stuck between laughing at the scene surrounding his death, but heart broken at the same time as he was my big cuddly brahma. we lost our other brahma roo a few weeks back to a dog attack so now i have no brahma roos at all [​IMG]((

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    [​IMG] Oh no, i'm so sorry! I guess i might assume heart attack too.

At least he died happy, right? [​IMG]

But seriously, sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Heart attack is a good possibility. Stroke and aneurysm are two others. No way to be sure without a post, of course. At any rate, it's very unlikely you could have done anything.

Sorry for your loss.

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Oh My, that is so sad. But like you said the scenario is a bit comical.

sounds like it had to be a heart attack. Probably not much you could of done.

I am so sorry you lots your cuddly brahma. [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He died with his boots on doing what roosters love to do best. A fitting end.

Sorry for your loss.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Did he flip on his back by chance? That's a classic sign of a heart attack in chickens I've learned.
    Sorry for your loss.

7. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    yes he fell on his back, neck/head to one side, wings out to either side and legs straight out at the bottom (imagine making a snow angel, it was that kind of posture) [​IMG]

8. chickhopeful12

chickhopeful12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    CT
    I am so sorry to hear of this. My Godiva died last week, in a similar matter. All except for the boots on, she was a sweet little girl. Any how, she was fine, eating and drinking, dust bathing with the other girls. I went inside for about an hour and when I went back out, she was on her back with her head tilted. My first thought was her heart too.

Sorry to hear about your roo. [​IMG]

9. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sorry bout that.

Least he died happy. I would lock that hen up though before she does in any other roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by