Heart Breaking..5 Days Old & DIES IN MY HANDS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, May 5, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] Yesterday morning about 5:00a.m I was holding my little baby (only 5days old) and it just went lifeless in my hands. Eyes were still open just looking at me. OMG it was the saddest thing. Alive & moving & peeping one minute and the next minute...just gone. The electric had went out at 3:00a.m so I got up and went in by the brooders, the chicks started making their little noises and a while later the baby duckling started moving around & peeping.(NO Heat light) So I put some fuzzy slipper socks on My Hands to keep the baby warm when I held & fed it.(I had to hand feed because baby couldn't walk. Babies legs & feet were deformed from birth) Baby had a little bite of food & a couple drinks of water, the entire time I was talking to it. I got this weird feeling, the baby just totally stopped moving. I started talking some more to the baby & I got no response. It was the worst feeling, my hands felt lighter like I just felt the life leave my hands. So I don't know if baby got too cold (I really don't think so). But maybe he just wasn't gonna make it? He fit in my hand he was much smaller than other ducklings when born. As much as this sucks, this might have been best in the long run because I don't know what kind of life was in store for the little guy not being able to walk or get around to get food & water. ~Julie~ [​IMG] I DID PUT THE BATOR AWAY FOR NOW... LEAVING THE HATCHING TO THE PRO'S...THE DUCKS [​IMG]

2. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    So sorry for your loss but it seems like this little baby wasn't meant to be. [​IMG]
    Hope all your others stay fit and healthy and grow like weeds!!! [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh Julie I am so terribly sorry. [​IMG] Not only for the loss of such a cherished ducklings short life- but for the experience of it as well. Holding your little one as it passed would have given it some comfort at least. Its almost like the power going out was a sign for you to wake up so you could be there for your little one during its last moments. Waking up in the morning and finding her Im sure would have been just as sad- for you - but at least now you can take comfort in knowing she died feeling the warmth and love that you had to give her.

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Aww, I am sorry for your loss. That is very sad:hugs

5. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    So very sorry for the loss of your little duckling.
    [​IMG]

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Oh Julie, Im sooo sooo sorry to hear about your baby. You worked so hard to get him into the world to find he wasnt all in working order. As Alicia said Im glad you was there to be with him in is last moments. [​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh how sad! He was cute. I guess it was not meant to be.

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss. He was adorable and at least he knew he was loved very much. Once again I am so sorry. [​IMG]

9. Xaviorffviii

Xaviorffviii Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    Trumbull
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a few ducklings when I incubated too. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there for their passing. I'm always constantly worried about waking up and see my loved ones not moving now. He certainly would have had a difficult life, I have a female crested that can't walk, she finds a lot of happiness and is healthy considering her situation. But shes a lot of work to take care of. Thankfully she learned to eat on her own on her side. But I certainly know the pain that's accompanied with a loss like this. I agree with the above post, the lights going out wasn't the reason why he passed, and that those lights went out for a reason. You'll never have any doubt that he passed in the most comfortable way possible. You're a great mother to those ducklings, and Godbless.

-David

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I am so sorry to hear about your duckling... How sad! It sounds like he or she may have had some problems to begin with, however... If there are external deformities oftentimes there are problems with the insides that we can't see as well. I'm sure you gave the little one the best chance you could, and it's unlikely you could have saved him or her. I know that exact feeling of the life leaving the body. I've held many animals as they passed away (I'm a wildlife rehabber and we often get animals that have nearly reached the end) and it's a sad feeling. The body feels empty in comparison, and lighter. I'm sure it was comforting to the little one that you held them and kept them warm while they faded out. Many hugs to you, and don't blame yourself. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by