Heart worm treatment taken off the market?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muscovy94, Nov 24, 2011.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I took my dog Junior to the vet about 2 months ago and he tested positive for heart worms. Well the vet told us that all treatment for heartworms had been taken off the market. Is this true? Its hard to believe that all heartworm treatment has been recalled. HAs anyone else heard this? Anyone else have a dog that has heartworms?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    nope, I haven't heard anything about it. a quick internet search doesn't turn up anything about a recall. There are old notices, from 2004, but that is it.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Perhaps he ment the treatment you are using or were using to prevent them was no good, seen that happen more than once.[​IMG]

4. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    my husband found a old toothless pomeranian a few months ago and we took him to the vet since he had a bad cough and we had him tested for heart worms as our vet told us that if he tested positive it would most likely be kinder to put him down as the drug company that was making the heart worm meds no longer is approved to make them here. I guess they have changed their formula and the new one has yet to get fda approval here. so if your dog is heartworm positive and you vet didn't get enough stocked up before they ran out you are out of luck. I was very upset to hear this. so we just have to wait for another formula to get approved i guess. ours is a small country vet so he got as much as he could but the treatment is expensive.

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:So there's only one company that makes heart worm meds?

6. solanaskyes

solanaskyes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    I just bought 4 boxes of Triflexis on Tuesday from my vet, so I doubt it. There was a study published recently that questioned Heartgard's protective ability.

7. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
  8. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Technically, no, it hasn't been taken off the market or recalled. Immiticide, the number one choice for heartworm treatment is on manufacturer backorder, with absolutely no release date meaning we have no idea when it will come back. The company has imported immiticide from Europe, but the regulations there are different and it is not FDA approved here although the FDA is apparently allowing veterinarians to use it anyway.

That said, there is more than one way to treat heartworms. Immiticide is simply the preferred method because it is most effective and safest for heavy infestations, far safer than older treatment options. Talk to your vet about alternative treatment options. If your vet isn't willing to look into it, then you need to call around and find a vet that does have an option for you. This backorder issue was not a surprise, our distributor representatives have been warning us that it's coming for a long time now. As such, most vets have a backup plan for what to do if/when they do get a dog that tests positive for heartworms.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Immiticide, the number one choice for heartworm treatment is on manufacturer backorder,

It might be the choice for VETS.

I prefer Ivomec, which doesn't require injection and costs far less​

10. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Quote:It might be the choice for VETS.

I prefer Ivomec, which doesn't require injection and costs far less

Not all dogs can have Ivomec......there is a gene defect (MDR1) in some breeds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by