Heartbreaking Stuff...Depressed Hen

pgpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wales
I've posted on this hen before, but had thought that by now she would be fine....but she's not.

Bluey, twisted spine Blue Partridge Brahma (usually feisty and capable) went broody in August. I gave her three eggs having tried to break her. Unfortunately she smothered the only chick which fully hatched (accidentally), but behaved as though she had chicks. Due to the time of year I didn't have any chicks for her to adopt and none were available locally (Chickens cannot be posted here).

As she just could not cope with the rest of the flock, I have had to reintegrate her very slowly. (She initially went missing for a couple of days and then she turned up one day in the garden pond, severely hypothermic).Although the rest of the flock don't bully her, she still just tend to sit under the shed eaves or hide behind a pile of logs. She does not join in with their 'rough and tumble' and is always within a yard or two of the shed.

She spends a short time with the other chickens in the morning , goes back and crouches in front of the agricultural shed door at about midday (waiting to be let in to lay her egg) and then spends the afternoon with them before sleeping alone in the shed.

I have increased the amount of time that she has spent outside and thought she was improving. A few nights back she walked the 100 or so yards to coops and spent her night perched up with the others as I was a bit late shutting the chickens in. She has done this now for three nights.

I was thinking she was better, thinking she was over chicks. Then.....yesterday she was sitting by the shed door to go in to egg lay.....I let her in. She found a bit of grain, and started clucking and offering the grain to non-existent chicks. She did this for quite some time.

Will she ever get over the loss? I just really don't know how to make things better for her.

In Britain chicks can't be shipped......I've contacted locally hatcheries and they don't have any available.

hello

i remember this story its very sad indeed.

i was told when mine was brrody to make sure she cannot see the old nest sight or where she used to be as this will stress herout and make her fight to stay .
im wondering if it would work here?

make her stay away fromt he old shed maybe if its done long enough she might snap out of it and forget aboutthe chicks as the other chickens will keep her occupied if they are all toether away fromthe old shed.

where about in england are you ?

i bought some chicks about 12 weeks ago where i live i can see what they hae and ask about for you if you are despirate
xx
good luck

We're in mid Wales and the local hatcheries have all stopped breeding for the year.

Bluey is currently out of the shed apart from egg laying, but I will keep her out and see if she will lay elsewhere and hope that will break it.

How sad.
sad.png
Please let us know how it goes.

I had a tough time reintegrating my first broody. She became my lap chicken after all the work I did to help her reintegrate.

what to do with a unhappy chicken,my roster and one hen is chasing and pecking one of the hens,she hides or goes to the hen house.what to do

Back
Top Bottom