Heartbroke - I have to say goodbye!

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
So for the past 2 weeks I have been trying so hard to intigrate my Sultan pair of chicks into the flock of girls (& roos), but its not happening.. Even when I let them free range all together my two Sultans run to a corner in the yard far away from everyone else and hide curled up!

DH has already said no to another coop for just those two, and I agree. Right now I have them in a dog kennel in the garage, but thats not good for them. So I have decided it would just be best to find them a new home.
sad.png

Now to just bringing myself to type the craigslist add!

It can take a loooong time to blend a flock. Are they the same size as the adults? I usually cage or separate the newbies by wire for 2-4 weeks, so they all get used to each other. Then I put a big pile of treats on the ground, they are so interested by that that they get over it faster.

Give it more time, they'll get over it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Ive been doing the kennel in the coop, free ranging together, introducing a couple big girls at a time, but nothing. They constantly beat up on the female every chance they can get to her and the roo sultan looks like an ostrich with his head in the sand while in the dog crate in the coop, he wont even lift his head and screams if anything touches him.. If anything over the past 2 weeks each introduction has gotten worse, on the Sultans side.. And yes I have backed off and given space to see if that helps and it doesn't. The SUltans are genuinely scared to death of the others hens and banties!! I just don't think its fair to keep doing this to them over the next few months..

The Sultans are Bantams, my hens are RSL & TT girls.. I do have other Banties in with the big girls and they get picked on, but have integrated great! No blood loss like its been with the Sultans! My Sultan hen will get a bloody head everytime I allow they to be able to "touch" each other..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom