1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heartbroke - I have to say goodbye!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommto3kiddos, May 11, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    So for the past 2 weeks I have been trying so hard to intigrate my Sultan pair of chicks into the flock of girls (& roos), but its not happening.. Even when I let them free range all together my two Sultans run to a corner in the yard far away from everyone else and hide curled up!

DH has already said no to another coop for just those two, and I agree. Right now I have them in a dog kennel in the garage, but thats not good for them. So I have decided it would just be best to find them a new home. [​IMG]

Now to just bringing myself to type the craigslist add!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    2 weeks - hmm, not very long - it took mine a month
    I kept them in a cage in the coop where they could see but not touch

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It can take a loooong time to blend a flock. Are they the same size as the adults? I usually cage or separate the newbies by wire for 2-4 weeks, so they all get used to each other. Then I put a big pile of treats on the ground, they are so interested by that that they get over it faster.

Give it more time, they'll get over it. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I agree! Give them a little more time. I have had some take close to a month to integrate as well.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Unless there's blood, let them work it out.

6. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    Ive been doing the kennel in the coop, free ranging together, introducing a couple big girls at a time, but nothing. They constantly beat up on the female every chance they can get to her and the roo sultan looks like an ostrich with his head in the sand while in the dog crate in the coop, he wont even lift his head and screams if anything touches him.. If anything over the past 2 weeks each introduction has gotten worse, on the Sultans side.. And yes I have backed off and given space to see if that helps and it doesn't. The SUltans are genuinely scared to death of the others hens and banties!! I just don't think its fair to keep doing this to them over the next few months..

7. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    The Sultans are Bantams, my hens are RSL & TT girls.. I do have other Banties in with the big girls and they get picked on, but have integrated great! No blood loss like its been with the Sultans! My Sultan hen will get a bloody head everytime I allow they to be able to "touch" each other..

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:I agree. Unless there's blood, let them work it out.

I agree ~ [​IMG]

9. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    If it's that bad that you really feel they are being harmed or traumatized then find them a good home. You have to do what you feel is right! Good luck!!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Where are you located? I would gladly give them a loving home. [​IMG]

Oh hush Ranchy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by