Heartbroken and worried about Maria

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CDennis, Dec 21, 2009.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I just went out to feed and found my Mille Fleur d'Uccle rooster 'Arnold' had passed of what appears to be a broken neck. He is survived my his Mille Fleur d'Uccle hen 'Maria' and the rest of the "normal sized" flock. I am just heartbroken he was such a funny and sweet rooster. To make it worse, where I found him is right next to the hay bails so I can't help but blame myself thinking a flake may have fallen on him. What does everyone think I should do about 'Maria' does she need a another little guy like Arnold to keep her company or will she be ok? I buried Arnold in his favorite spot in the pasture, hopefully he will be happy there.

2. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I am sorry your little friend passed away........very hard, I know. [​IMG]
    Honestly, I doubt a flake of hay would kill him, simply because my chickens (all bantams...cochins, OEG, sebrights, dutch and silkies) lay and play in my hay bales every day. helps keep them warm, so I dont mind. in the winter, they still "free range", just in my barn. LOL.
    His neck my NOT have been broken, when they pass their necks go all floppy so unless you do a necropsy it is really hard to tell. I am betting it was his time, the weather or a cold perhaps? keep an eye on your other chickens for signs of illness. And again, sorry for your loss.

Oh, and yes, I would get maria another friend she can pal around with. One her size would be helpfull to her, so she doesn't get stressed by the big girls.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry................ I agree with the above poster....

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    So sad.... Sorry to hear about your loss.... A sure cure for the blues is ANOTHER CHICKEN... !!! I would get Maria another fella... just cause it's fun to get another bird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by