HEARTBROKEN - They're all Gone!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nic&Chickies, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    I went out this evening-- wait, last night now-- to warm up the car so I could go pick up my son. I then went over to the yard/pen gate to go check on my chickies. Ever since the opossum incident, I make sure there are only four chickens, safe in their coop, no squatters, and that the little pen is closed up. [We have a coop with attached run, and about a quarter of the backyard around that, as a fenced in yard, so they can free-range without pissing off the woman who lives next door, who made it quite clear last summer that she didn't "want (my) chickens to come onto (her) lawn EVER again, because I've lived here for twenty-seven years, and I pay taxes!"] I walked the path through the snow around to the gate, and as I reached for the gate, I heard-then-saw something. (I had the same half-second of disoriented disbelief as when I saw the 'possum in the nest box, but this was worse.)
    There was a DOG, a Husky-type dog, in my chickens yard! I hesitated reaching for the gate; I know that dogs can bite strangers, and it didn't know this is MY yard. But it didn't bite, in fact I think it sorta licked my hand as I unhooked the latch and it let me continue. I think I howled or maybe even screamed when I saw my Red and Penny, (my Rhode Island Reds) dead in the snow outside the little pen. "You killed my chickies!?! Nooooooo!" I wailed to the dog. I looked beyond, and thought I saw Henny, my Barred rock, lying in the pen, but I wasn't sure about Kallie. That's when I ran into the house, hysterical, and scared my other half -- he thought at first maybe I had been attacked or something. He followed me out, and back to the chickens. We both looked, and realized that yes, all four of our chickens are dead, two in the outer yard, two in the inner one. None were in the coop, but I think the dog may have even gotten in there, as the board covering the three nest-boxes (where they've perched at night) was askew, like maybe it had been bumped, pushed out of alignment.
    So many emotions: Sad (my poor babies), bereft (all gone), confused (where did it come from,who let him out?) angry (darn mutt, , with no registration tags!) guilty (I didn't check on then make sure they were safe earlier in the evening), and more. But now I'm like a wrung out rag, and it's only a few hours until the police officer (animal control) comes on duty. I had called our P.D. to ask if it is a crime, an unregistered dog killing someone else's pets.

2. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Oh honey I'm so sorry! [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, really sorry for your loss! We've had several coon attacks and a dog attack over the years and it is one of the worst feelings ever.

[​IMG]

4. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Aww, I'm so sorry about your chickens. [​IMG]

When the police come, d not call your chickens pets. If you refer to them as 'livestock', you'll have a lot more legal say in what becomes of the dog. [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

That is really sad. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh boy, makes me sad.... [​IMG]

7. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    That's terrible. I know the feeling-----just wishing it was some bad dream, and the sick feeling that those certain chickens are gone for good. I had a neighbor's dingo come in my yard several years ago and kill all but 2 of my birds. I hope you find out whose dog that is. [​IMG]

8. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    Oh no! I am so so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

darn dog..... [​IMG]

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. I had a husky come into my yard and bite up my dog,so you are wise to have not grabbed it. I think any dog in that mode would attack you though. I would probably have wanted to strangle the dog. Again so sorry.

10. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    So Sorry to hear about your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by