Heartbroken!

MrsPbio

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I went outside this morning to feed my 3 lovely barred rock ladies, my wonderful rooster and my 2 teenagers. To my horror, they were ALL DEAD! Feathers everywhere, no blood. Bodies were intact, no heads missing or gutted or anything like that.

The bottom latch of the run gate was open, allowing about 6" of space between the gate and the wall that feasibly something could squeeze through. But what?!?!? It would be much harder getting out, because it would have to pry the gate open inward. I saw no footprints--either human or animal. No digging,

What sort of predator would just KILL, and not eat? There were even 6 eggs in the nestbox! The only animal I've seen in my area are cats (which Seamus the rooster would set to flight instantly!) and dogs...but all are big, and couldn't fit through that small opening... or close a gate behind them either for that matter.. and 1 armadillo who lives in the drainpipe. But they don't eat chickens. Do they?

I am completely devasted. All my birds....gone. My backyard is strewn with feathers. And it's just waaaay too quiet.
hit.gif

Also sorry for your loss.

What sourland said, when I have found cats that my dogs got a hold of, I was surprised that with all the fur around there also was no blood (sorry cat people). There were puncture wound, but it was the snapped spine from shaking that culminated their demise. Even little dogs are called terriers for a reason.

I hope you can figure it out what did this and don't let it take the joy out of chicken keeping for you. It really must feel terrible. Sorry again.

First, I am sorry you lost your birds. People who've never raised chickens and lost some will never know how lousy it feels.

The instances you've described here are similar to hundreds of posts here. And, just about every predator out there has been responsible for a scene exactly like yours. Yes, some predators kill in a certain way. But, all predators will kill in a similar fashion at times. If you get 50 replies here, you will probably get 10 different suspects blamed.

A game cam will identify who the culprit is. I hope you get more chickens. If you do, try to improve the security on/around your run and coop. If you can, buy a cheap trail cam on ebay, Determine what predators are casing-the-joint. Kill them!!

My guess is a domestic dog. Now that and $1.25 will buy you a Dr. Pepper from a vending machine!!

Seriously, I hope you get some more birds and, that they live long happy lives for y'all.

I hate it when someone says I know how you feel, but I do . Last night I lost 3 of my 6. They were hatched 3/16 so they were not even 2 months old. I think it was raccoon(s). The door to the area where the egg boxes would be was open with 1 carcass, my rooster that I had fallen in love with, but didn't think I wanted. The other carcass was my Cornish Rock hen, she was found some distance from the coop, gutted. I probably didn't lock the egg box door as I have trouble opening it. It was closed. I cried like a baby this morning. 2 were gutted and I could not find the carcass of my little pullet. I am devastated. My daughter helped me clean the coop as my husband had major back surgery on 4/13.

I am so sorry for your loss. :( I think it was a dog also because like stated above .....they shake and break the spine. Also wanted to say, don't underestimate the size of a dog being able to wiggle through a space that small...or it's ability to get back out. Our female Pyrenees is a Houdini and at right around 100 pounds has managed to get through a hole about the size of what you described. Unbelievable but she did.

Back
Top Bottom