Heartbroken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Barngirl1790, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Barngirl1790

Barngirl1790 In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2019
    California
    My one week anniversary, and I have sad news to report. My beloved Mr.Ducksworth was attacked last night and unfortunately he did not make it. I’m at a loss of what to do now. This is my first (and hopefully last) time dealing with something like this.

The dear husband was able to locate the entrance of the attacker. Claws show a dog of some sort must of dug under the fence. That problem is fixed.

I’m sad for PipSqueak now. These ducks came together, and from everything I’ve read ducks do better in pairs. How will she do with out her friend? How would I even go about getting her a new partner?

I couldn’t have imagined myself mourning a duck a year ago, but here I am completely heartbroken.
    01550936-5FD4-4F7E-84DC-6C6FC9774751.jpeg

2. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    I’m so sorry! We suffered a loss earlier this year and it was heartbreaking for us, too. Ducks are such happy creatures and effortlessly steal our hearts.

We added to our flock afterward through watching Craigslist. You might also reach out on your state thread here on BYC to see whether anyone has ducks to rehome in your area.

Again, I’m very sorry for your loss.

3. RustyBucketFarmGirl

RustyBucketFarmGirl Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Ohio
    So sorry to hear about your loss!

4. Barngirl1790

Jun 6, 2019
    California
    Thank you both.

I will definitely be keep an eye out for anyone on Craigslist!

For the experts on here, should I be looking for a duck closer to her age or will a duckling be okay too?

5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Drakes should be easy to come by this time of the year so don't worry, you'll find a friend for your girl pretty fast I bet.

6. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Drakes are easy to come by any time of year but especially late summer.

Barngirl1790 and Callender Girl like this.
  7. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    I would look out for a duck closer to her age. If you do choose to get a duckling, you may have issues with your larger girl picking on or accidentally injuring it. This may not provide your duck with the immediate companionship you are hoping for. If you want a drake and not a duck, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding one.

Barngirl1790 and Callender Girl like this.
  8. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    I am very sorry for your loss. He was clearly a beautiful duck who will be missed by both his people and his companion.

I don't know how vigorous he was in mating with PipSqueak, but at this time of year, my drakes are extremely "romantic," so a new drake might be a bit overwhelming for her. I'm not saying don't get a drake, I'm just suggesting keeping an eye on any new Romeo.

Unless you are planning on ducklings, she might be just as happy with another hen. Whatever happens, keep us posted.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I say female too. Very sorry for your loss:hugs

10. Barngirl1790

Jun 6, 2019
    California
    Thank you all again. Joining this community has been a blessing during this time.

I think another hen would be best too. PipSqueak and Ducksworth was pretty fond of each other, so I don’t know how she would take to another drake at the moment. I have been looking for a duck close to a year, but it’s proven to be a little difficult in my small town. I’ve been keeping an eye on Craigslist and Facebook though

Callender Girl and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: