Heartbroken

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunne73, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    There was no more pecking or movement, so I opened the eggs this morning and all were dead. I have no idea what I did wrong but to know that they came so far is killing me. I took a picture but stating that I am technically challenged is an understatement. I have more eggs in an incubator and if I kill another batch I don't know if I will ever forgive myself. Please help.

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I've had that happen scores of times. Never been able to pinpoint why. It's heartbreaking and frustrating. I wish I could figure out the root cause, because then I could try and solve it. I wish I had some advice for you, but if I knew how to prevent it, I'd be doing it too! Condolences.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How do you think you killed them? What kind of incubator do you have and what was the temp and humidity. Is it a still air or with a fan? Do you have an egg turner?

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] Its horrible when it happens especially on you first go. Search eggtopsy at the top and it may give you a clue on why it died. Keep at it incubating is the same as anything it takes practice to get it right and even then things can happen beyond your control [​IMG]

5. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I have a still air incubator, a basic run of the mill kind without a turner unless you count me. The temp has always been at 101 and for the first 18 days humidity was at 35% then brought up to 70% when I put them into lockdown. I turned the eggs three times a day and tried to candle them each only 2-3 times. I only placed the eggs that were developed and moving into lockdown. It appears that on the majority of the chicks the internal organs are still visible and on the outside, some with yolk absorbed and some not. I swear I heard pecking...was this even possible?

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG]

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I am so sorry for your loss and heartache [​IMG]
    My first hatch I lost three because my humidity was too high during incubation and even though the chicks piped they did not zip because they were too big to turn around in their shell. This time I tried a dry incubation and all seems to be going fine [​IMG] !!! I would not give up on the ones you have going now [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by