Heartbroken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlueCamas, Dec 21, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    One of my hens is (was) raising 3 chicks, they would be a week old tomorrow. Anyway, tonight I went to close up the coop and Vera was sleeping with only 1 chick under her.
    They had been free ranging all day and I got home late so I didn't get a chance to put Vera and her chicks in the coop. The chicks have a really hard time climbing up the ramp, so before they go in I lift them up. I searched and searched everywhere. We have a good sized yard with lots of trees, bushes, a pond, leaves, nooks and crannies. It's about 40 degrees out and I don't think they will survive long. I looked for about an hour, but no luck. I tried putting Vera outside away from her remaining chick, so she would call and the other chicks would answer, no dice. They just disappeared. Just like a couple weeks ago when my young d'uccle just vanished. I don't know if we have rats, or if an owl swooped down at dusk. I at least what to find their bodies to know what happened. I feel horible, If I would have gotten home before dark this would have never happened [​IMG]

These are my first chicks and I'm heartbroken, I'm having the worst luck with chickens. RIP Petrie and Monroe

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may very well have a Cooper's or sharp shinned hawk killing your birds. They tend to target the smallest most vulnerable first. I would limit the free ranging before all are taken.

3. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    We have no hawks in our area right now, when we do it's always Red Tails. I also don't think it was a hawk because my family would have seen something, they were home all day. The Red Tails keep any other hawks well away.

4. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I'm sorry so sad [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    A week old is to me a little soon to leave them out unattended. When it comes to all predators, the chicks just are not old enough to look out for themselves. Live and learn, at least for us. My 6 will have feathers before they are allowed to go out of the run with mama. That's another reason I just won't be hugging and petting on the chicks. I want them to be cautious enough to have the flight skill. They know me well but I just don't want the placid at the wrong time. [​IMG]

7. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Quote:x2

8. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I hate it when I lose chicks like that. But it happens. Next time, call home, and ask the family to put the chicks to bed for you - or it could be that they were already gone by then. The silly hen won't know a thing. They can't seem to count!

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That's the bad part. We feel the hurt, the chickens can't count.[​IMG]

10. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Right now I'm just looking at the positive side of things. There's one chick left and this has been a learning expirience. As I said these were my first chicks being raised by a broody, I just assumed they would be safe to be outside because people have been doing it this way for years. Love and learn I guess.

Now mama and her one baby won't be going out side unsupervised (Which won't be often), until the chick is older. Thanks for the help guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by