heartbroken....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DirtCreature, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Just got my blrw eggs in the mail. Saw the mail lady coming, ran outside to the mailbox.... Get to it right as I see her pick up my box and give it sevral good and fast 360 spins to find the label to laser it with the handheld.

My heart dropped. She practicly throws it at me and smiles.

I must say when I opened it it was prob THE best packing job I've ever seen, but on the outside of the box not ONE thing wrote on it.... Not one thing about I being eggs inside.

I took them out and put them in egg cartons to rest. I will candle them later tonight. Nonw where broke, but just wondering if all are scrambled.

Call me a whambulance!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You're not having the best luck with shipped eggs, are you? I've never ordered hatching eggs myself - it just seems too risky given how the PO handles packages (we ship antique tractor parts all over the world, so we know how they operate). Is there anyone within a reasonable driving distance that you can go to for eggs? I'm glad they were packed well, anyway. I hope these are fertile and will hatch for you.

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm hearing the sirens now...

You're very fortunate that they did a great packing job. Terrific. As far as the seller not labeling your box...consider that they did you and the eggs a favor. I've spoken to enough delivery people who agree for some reason there are a few twisted souls resentful of having to take their time and give a package special handling, so they do the opposite and take the time to abuse it more than normal.

Let the eggs sit, make your choice whether to follow the advice of letting shipped eggs sit IN the incubator with the turner turned off or if you were going to hand turn, up right in an egg carton for the first 5-10 days or if you're going to jump in and do what you normally do.

Don't cry over unhatched egg until you give it some time.

Best of luck!

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    The other day I was waiting for some Lavender Orpington eggs to arrive and I was at the top of my hill walking toward my road down to my mailbox and the PO person drives up walks over to my ranch gate and TOSSES the box over the gate and on to my caliche road [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]At first after I opened them I didn't think any had been broken as the shipper had packed them really well but several days later you could smell that some were. After candling them I had 4 cracked!!! Yes I did complain LOUDLY [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by