heartbroken

Nj feathers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
NJ
is it a comon thing for chicken owners to lose chickens often? I love keeping chickens but its tugging at my heart strings...I lost two chickens in two days. One do to an illness and one was killed while in the pen. I have a 10 by 10 chain link pen. I guess she was to close to the side and something grabbed her and took her head off. I get attached to my girls. Its killing me. Should I give up on keeping chickens? I've lost 6 birds in one year. Is it me?!

I'm so sorry for your losses. Unfortunately, almost everything loves to eat chicken so they are quite vulnerable to predators, and losing them, after we are attached, can be heart-breaking.

The spaces on a chain link pen are too large for complete security as a raccoon can reach right through, entice the chicken over, and pull its head off through the chain link. I would suggest getting some 1/2" hardware cloth and attaching it to the bottom 3' of the chain link. That will go a long way to keep the rest of your birds safe from the same fate.

I'm so sorry for your losses. Unfortunately, almost everything loves to eat chicken so they are quite vulnerable to predators, and losing them, after we are attached, can be heart-breaking.

The spaces on a chain link pen are too large for complete security as a raccoon can reach right through, entice the chicken over, and pull its head off through the chain link. I would suggest getting some 1/2" hardware cloth and attaching it to the bottom 3' of the chain link. That will go a long way to keep the rest of your birds safe from the same fate.

x2 I'm so sorry. I agree that hardware cloth would be a good bet. It is expensive but it will cut down on your loses. A number of different predators can get to chickens right through chain link and chicken wire.

Chickens have some amazing healing powers but they are also prey animals and are susceptible to a variety of illnesses and health problems. I have also lost several to various different things. I think there is a bit of a learning curve but a lot of things happen that are out of your control.

Back
Top Bottom