1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heartwing Dock/Sorrel (Rumex hastatulus) for Chickens & Ducks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PinkBlanket, Mar 5, 2017.

1. PinkBlanket

PinkBlanket New Egg

Oct 17, 2016
    Hello,

I have a ton of this growing all over my property. I took a bunch and gave it to my chickens and ducks and they devoured it. I looked it up this morning just to be sure they can eat it in larger quantities before I go out there & give them a few lbs of it with their regular feed and I'm not able to find much. Have any of you had experience with this? Thanks!

2. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    I would limit it, here is some information for humans. You are dealing with mineral imbalances so it probably applies...

: Plants can contain quite high levels of oxalic acid, which is what gives the leaves of many members of this genus an acid-lemon flavour. Perfectly alright in small quantities, the leaves should not be eaten in large amounts since the oxalic acid can lock-up other nutrients in the food, especially calcium, thus causing mineral deficiencies. The oxalic acid content will be reduced if the plant is cooked. People with a tendency to rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones or hyperacidity should take especial caution if including this plant in their diet s

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by