Heat above or below? Your experience.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ByeByeBlackBird, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ByeByeBlackBird

ByeByeBlackBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Falls Village CT
    So im incubating with flexwatt heat tape (12in wide, two single foot sections at 20 watts per foot) in an igloo type cooler with a Spyder robotics Herpstat-Thermostat. I have the heat tape actually set below the eggs running in a U shape up the middle of the two long sides. T-stat probe in the center of the bator on the floor.

So far candling 9 eggs out of 19 (one was tossed because of a crack) are developing. This is a still air bator.

Im curious what everyones experiences are with similar setups or bators that have the heating element underneath the eggs versus above. Ive never incubated chicken eggs, so im not sure what the results will be, but were almost half-way through so i will find out soon enough myself, but regardless, im interested to hear others experiences!!

2. ByeByeBlackBird

Mar 10, 2011
    Falls Village CT
    Anybody? [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I've been confused for a while at why the heat is above the eggs in styrofoam incubators.... but if it's not broken don't fix it I figured. I can't be any help, except to say I've never done it with heat on the bottom.

4. ByeByeBlackBird

Mar 10, 2011
    Falls Village CT
    I guess people figure the hen sits up top, but there is usually bedding underneath that helps radiate heat and insulate a bit. Thats my guess? Thanks for the response regardless!! Maybe others interest will be piqued? [​IMG] Ill post my findings anyway, just in case another person searches around for the information too!

5. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

It dosen't really matter. What matters is where you put your temp probe. As long as it is at the same level as the eggs, it will maintain the temp there. Why not install a small fan and even out the temps top to bottom?? .........stan

6. ByeByeBlackBird

Mar 10, 2011
    Falls Village CT
    Oh, count is up to 13 so far, give or take one or two of the larger Golden buff eggs. two are not easy to see due to darker shells. i think one MAY be infertile/no go, but ill give it a few more days before im 100%. I tossed five infertile/non developing silkie eggs last night, definitely zero going on in those.

No fan because i just dont have one. Maybe next hatch though, depending on how this one turns out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by