1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heat advice for day and night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken42626, Jun 23, 2016.

1. chicken42626

chicken42626 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    how do i keep my chicks nice and comfortable day and night for the day time they are in a big pen with plenty of water and shade at night time i notice it is humid there is no window due to the budget there is 2 older chickens both chicks and chickens have water access i clean out the coop weekly

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Where are you? Heat advice changes depending on the location. Some folks have to take more extreme measures than others.

3. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Did I understand you that your coop has no window? If so that can't be good.
    I have huge windows on both sides and a small one in the door and one in the back that I have a box fan running on high during the day and low at night. Most of the day my chickens are out in the backyard under the trees where I also have a mister set up. At night they are in the coop with the fan on low. We have a nice wind most days here on the Texas coast but it's also very humid here. Temp outside right now is 90.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is not enough information in your post to give a reasonable response. How old are the chicks? What kind of temperatures, day and night, are you talking about? Are the chicks and older hens together or housed separately? Are you talking about a broody hen and her chicks? If you could describe your situation a little better we may be able to help. I’m really not sure what you are asking.

5. chick100

chick100 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Would like credible help please:
    I have 3 newly hatched chicks and one has curled toes. So in my panic to try to fix it...I used duct tape. Yes it was dumb...I know that now. But he/she can't walk at all like her little buddies can. So seeing that, I thought, why don't I take it off abd use masking tape, I mean it's lighter, right? So I took her out of the incubator and set to work and quickly realized that duct tape, stuck to itself, is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. In the process her nail started to bleed a bit. What do I do? Do I take steps to take it off now? Or wait until her toes are straight, and then try? Help needed please!! And she just hatched this morning.

6. pfields

Have you tried Goo Gone on the tape? It removes grease, stickers, tar, gum, crayon and tape. You can usually find it at a hardware store. I've had my bottle for years.

7. chick100

May 4, 2016
    So pfields: How to I put it on the tape to get the tape off. Surely putting on the outside won't work. So how do I put it on the inside? And won't it make it greasy to where I cant get good grip to pull it off? I don't know what goo gone is. Is it safe for my chick?

8. pfields

It shouldn't hurt the chick. I was hoping you could use it to get the tape to start unsticking from itself a little bit at a time. Goo Gone is a liquid. It might not work, just a thought.

9. chick100

May 4, 2016
    Ok, thank you for your input. I started a new thread with it, and will see what answers I get. But again thank you for your suggestion. I may use it

10. chick100

May 4, 2016
    Alright, thank you to all who replied! I ended up using baby oil and a q-tip, and it worked like a charm. Ok, so I didn't do it, but a friend of mine did. I take no credit. But for anyone out there with the same problem...use baby oil to coax the tape apart. It takes about 15 minutes and is fairly easy. BUT if you are reading this and haven't put any tape on, DO NOT USE DUCT TAPE! Use masking tape. It's so much easier! Good luck on future endeavors! smile.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by